Opinions on identification

Yep i have seen this a few times over the years. sometimes it clears when they shed other times it doesn’t. I had a woma python do the same thing cleared up fine after shed. Fingers crossed it clears up for ya.

2 Likes

We hatched a girl with an eye issue like that. It crusted over as you can see in this picture. She seems completely healthy. Great appetite. 84819614_2536403626602098_1217855654866190336_o|546x500

2 Likes

Okay, thanks! Now to be patient and wait for the little buggers to come out of their eggs :joy: all 3 of the remaining ones have at least poked their head out a few times so I’m a little more confident that they will make it out of the egg and survive.

I have had this happen twice before (two different clutches, five years apart, all unrelated animals), both ended up losing the eye.

@t_h_wyman
Interesting to know. Did you end up taking them to the vet at all? Or just let it run it’s course?

Consulted with my vet friend (who also breeds balls) and he said to let them shed first and see if it resolved but he warned me that odds were they would rupture. And he was correct. Treatment was to apply a little Neosporin daily until it healed over enough. And keep on paper towels so no bedding could get into the wound. The first went on to be a pet for a friend. The second is still kicking it in my rack. Behaves perfectly normal, just does not like being snuck up on from the right side

3 Likes

Okay, thanks! I’ll see how it goes then, I believe this one may have a stubby tail too so it’ll likely have to remain as a pet-only snake.

If you do apply neosporin make sure it is the kind without pain relief. Standard triple antibiotic ointment would also work if you can’t find neosporin without any extra stuff in it.

1 Like

Got a bit of a better look at this little one. It still seems very white on the alien heads compared to what I would normally expect of a pastel. Though it does look a tiny bit more yellow than it did before… guess I’ll just have to keep monitoring and post again once it sheds.

1 Like

Looks like a pastel yellowbelly. It would be silver if it were axanthic and freshly hatched.

@ashleyraeanne
Looking at some pictures online, it does certainly look more like a pastel yellowbelly. Still a beautiful snake!

It definitely did color up, good luck with the eye. Poor guy

1 Like

Het Axanthic combos, especially pastel, have a very hypoxanthic look but color up normally by a couple of sheds.

1 Like

This one finally came out of the egg, but has a small kink by the tail and at the very tip of the tail. I believe it is a female but I’ll sex her again after she has her first shed. I think she’ll be fine with eating (any suggestions regarding that would be appreciated)
I’ll be giving her to my sister as a pet, though with that kink there I don’t think she’d ever be able to breed safely. My sis already gave her a name; Suki.

The crusty bit on her one eye seems to be coming off as well, so I’m hoping that’ll clear up just fine.

3 Likes

Sort of related but this baby seems to have stuff leaking out of its belly button hole. It smells like chicken fat in the tub.

Something I also noticed with the pastel yellowbelly baby is that the heart is very noticeable. I believe the head and neck of the snake are just really small, and the heart is normal sized. It’s a bit weird to see.
I’m skeptical that those two will survive, but the last one hasn’t had any issues and out of all of them is the only one that acts like a normal ball python would. Curious and flicking his tongue.

That baby had some sort of rupture, probably from his yolk being bad I would imagine. This video should help you since that baby won’t survive. Best not to let it suffer more. This is sadly one of the worst things that comes with breeding any animal. You could try taking it to the vet if you have the money, but it may still die given the rupture could have stuff leaking into the body cavity.

1 Like

Thank you for letting me know. I decided to cull the baby, and I also got a picture of the pastel yellowbelly baby:

To me it just seems like her body is much too small for her organs, like she’s severely stunted. It’s really odd.

It is either her body is too small, or her organs are enlarged (especially her heart). I know snakes with enlarged hearts (if they survive for long) need small meals their whole life since there isn’t a lot of room for a mouse to go down. Kinda makes me wonder what her X-ray would look like.

2 Likes

She unfortunately didn’t make it through the night. I believe us moving probably put too much stress on her. (We just closed on the house yesterday so we also started moving everything including the snakes)

The remaining baby, a banana male, seems to be doing okay and is in blue. He should shed soon and then I can offer him a first meal.

A bit of picture spam… but this is the remaining baby and he finally finished shedding. He’s very curious and is acting like a normal ball python would.
I believe he is just a banana, and he’s going to my sister as a pet (since the other one didn’t survive) though I’d like to know for sure what he is. If any other pictures are needed just let me know!

2 Likes