Opinions on popular reptiles

I’ll disagree. My chahoua was an aggressive little git :joy:
I don’t have her now. But she was cool to look at.
Though plans are to get a pair possibly next year as I have friends breeding them.

Plus I am a little obsessed with Cresties. I breed them, I adore every single one, I’m with them every day. I just love everything about them.

Also leaches are awesome too, again a pair one day I shall have! :joy:

2 Likes

Ah. White collar.
A breeder I know paid around 1300 each for his group of white collars he got from Florida…
his reds I love, but a red white collar? Amazing.

2 Likes

I think the line breeding to get as white as possible takes away from the uniqueness of the animals.
I have a couple chahoua that are sh*theads, but the majority are super interactive and chill.
Give me high color any day over white though.

2 Likes

I agree there, I think the reds are beautiful! Would love to see yours! :blush:

3 Likes

I would have to reformat photos to a smaller size to post here, but there are some photos on our Instagram, @phantom_dragons

2 Likes

What am I doing wrong w Flokei, my 7 yr old Beardie? He is quite affectionate, easy to feed. He mostly eats veggies, loves spinach, bell peppers, cukes and berries (in moderation). I give him a belly size of greens once a day. And, I throw out what is uneaten the next morning.

Once a week, or less, he might get a couple fat hornworms or a dozen large crickets. That’s all. Granted he isn’t a heavyweight like some breeders I’ve seen. But, he doesn’t smell AT ALL.

The vet thinks he is in tip top condition. 40 gallon breeder tank w a heat lamp and a UVB BULB. I dust the crickets w calcium once or twice a month. He is probably the easiest pet I’ve got! Maybe I’m missing something?

5 Likes

Maybe you have gone nose blind? :joy: It could be that you don’t give him as many bugs as some people, and he therefore doesn’t have smelly bug filled poop. Most people feed their beardies bugs much more often given most recommend that in their care.

4 Likes

Tortoises are too noisy!

For the tortoise experience, put a rock in your washing machine and time it to come on at sun up!

6 Likes

I agree. We did a variety of bugs the first year then switched to greens but didn’t notice a difference in smell, lol.

1 Like

Ball pythons great snakes…I love all snakes…but Very over rated! I also would not recommend one as 1st time snake. Corns definitely do make a good 1st snake…especially for younger kids. Rosy Boas though are in my opinion actually a great 1st snake that doesnt get enough traction in the hobby. I had a Breadie for years & years when I was a teenager…& I loved him…but not interested in getting another…He was alot of work…especially compared to my snake collection. Ive had my Uro for 14yrs now & he is awesome… Uro’s are definitely under appreciated.

5 Likes

Boa Constrictors will forever be my favorites! I think they make excellent pets! I understand that for some people…they just get to big… and in my opinion they need more “up space” then alot of people give them. I had Demetrius for 22yrs…& when he passed he was almost 9.5ft…which is not the average its an expectation. He was just a normal Colombian. Boas do have the potential to get good size though. On the plus side its takes em awhile to get there…so you can grow with them…so if your prepared to house it 5yrs down the road. Baby Boas are the best & make great 1st snakes. & it wouldn’t be me if I didnt shout out Dumerils Boas!! Best snake Ive ever owned!!

3 Likes

We were told when we bought him that crickets and worms are like candy. Once a week or special occasions. I know his weight gain has never been outstanding - and we always ask that of the vet - but in seven years it has not been the concern of a doctor. Meh, he always looks happy and healthy. As to the smells? We have and have had lots of pets and he doesn’t smell any worse than others. Perhaps we just got lucky.

Mealworms, butter worms and waxworms yes, crickets maybe. Silkworms, dubia roaches, hornworms, and the like are healthy feeders so long as you gut load them with good stuff. Not sure who said they are like candy lol. In the wild they eat a lot of bugs.

Lol boas are the goat in our eyes

2 Likes

Definitely the bee’s knees!! Lol

2 Likes

Once our beardies went to greens, occasional horn worms were like candy to them. Lol. I like that Duncan coral in your profile.

1 Like

You know it!

1 Like

I know most folks consider stony corals the apex, but I always preferred the ones that really moved. Duncans were/are my favorites!

1 Like

LPS and tridacna clams were our favorites. Not a day goes by where we don’t miss our reef tank.

1 Like

Honestly anything that is really popular and has 2000 morphs sucks. Just too overdone too overbred. I went to an expo and I swear to god it was 90% ball pythons, nothing there was special at all besides the lizard I got. I work at a herp rescue and the amount of beards we get is too damn much. And last but not least, unpopular or popular opinion idc, buying tortises and breeding ones like sulcatas is a jerk move, theres over 400 here alone that nobody wanted or just dumped when they got too big.

4 Likes