Opinions on popular reptiles

Are you in AZ too? I know the Phoenix Herp Sanctuary has so many rescue sulcatas. I think they’re such cool tortoises that are completely inappropriate pets for almost everyone. If I ever have enough yard space to properly house one or two, I would love to adopt some from them.

1 Like

Tortoise of any kind…are…A major comment of alot alot. Ive had my Malaysian box turtle for 14yrs now myself…& she is way older than that…& she is alot of work…for one pet comparison to my snakes…

2 Likes

Yeah, just the ages they can reach make them a major commitment even if they stay a smaller size!

2 Likes

She was a rescue from…long ago…like another lifetime with chapters closed in my life…but I still have Voltron…something to be said for that as well. I Never plan on another turtle…but she is still mine for the next 10yrs. 40 is about their known expectation (only zoo data stuff)

3 Likes

Voltron is smaller…presay…but she is a pain cause she is semi-aquatic…helf here cafe is water…when I keep her outside for the summer…great…bring her in every. Winter…pain in the butt…omg

1 Like

Long story short considering the topic…if you want a turtle …great…bevprepared forca lifetime (yours) of care…so…overrated as a popular pet…some of these…if the are trye pets…your setting tgem up in your will

1 Like

Luckily, it’s more like half for my local expo. They have rules where only about half of the tables can be selling exclusively common species, so the other half is mainly rare lizard(mainly rare geckos) species, rare frogs, rare colubrids and Australian pythons. It’s a great expo. I’m visiting it again in four days.

4 Likes

Another fairly popular species I don’t like is gargoyle geckos. I have no idea why, but I just have no interest in every keeping them. If I did keep one though, I’d probably keep a reticulated or a yellow striped gargoyle gecko. I just don’t like the red, stripy colors.

Nooo! They’re beautiful :joy:
I used to have a grey and yellow reticulated and a black and red striped. I rehomed them a few years ago as was more for cresties but I shall have another pair in the future! :sweat_smile:

1 Like

I am not particularly interested in ball pythons, but a few morphs are interesting. They are also so picky so that is a major turnoff to me.

Corns are cool but I think that they are the best beginner snake so I am a little put off because I love uniqueness. Not many of their morphs catch my eye at all.

I personally wouldn’t consider boas popular because of their difficulty in size and their intermediate requirements. They are the best though, in my unbiased opinion.

I particularly like Western hognose snakes because I consider them actually the alternative to other commonly kept colubrids like corns.

I would like to have a mangrove snake because they are so rad. Their colors and attitude are so fun. Maybe one day.

Definitely popular reptiles are common but some of them deserve their place ( corns is a good example ) others not so much because of their difficulties in care and feeding. But all in all, snakes and lizards, our reptiles, are incredible in every way. :grin:

4 Likes