Orthriophis Taeniurus Friesi morphs?

Hi,

Everyone…
Its a pretty simple question actually.
But not sure how many people are working with this species of snake. :snake:

I’m gathering information about Orthriophis Taeniurus And it’s subspecies currently. :mag:

Right now I have what I believe to be a Orthriophis Taeniurus Friesi.

And now playing with the idea of potentially breeding this species.

I saw online some very interesting morphs.
(Hypo, Albino, Calico, etc…) :heart_eyes:

But unfortunately when I inquired they where of different subspecies. :sweat_smile:
(Orthriophis Taeniurus Taeniurus)

And since making hybrids is probably not a great idea. (Right ?) :upside_down_face:

I am wondering if there are actually any morphs of Orthriophis Taeniurus Friesi ? :thinking:

Any help is appreciated. :grin:

Friendly greetings,
Joery Declerck. :wink:

7 Likes

@pcexotics Justin might know, and if not he’s likely to know someone who does.

1 Like

yep asking some friends now!

1 Like

It’s my understanding there are no beauty snake morphs outside of Orthriophis Taeniurus taeniurus (chinese). I have heard rumors of albino mocquardi but never pictures and I only know of 3 people that breed normal mocquardi in the US in the first place. I wouldn’t be too surprised though if people have hybridized friesi and Chinese beauty’s to try and get the size of the friese with the color morphs of the Chinese so it’s possible not all the Chinese beauty morphs are pure if not buying from a trustworthy seller.

Larry Keller of Prairieland Herp is a very well known name when it comes to Chinese Beauty Morphs.

Other than that there are the ridleyi which can vary in color quite a bit( some say its based off range eg. Cameron Highlands/ Malaysian lowlands but I belive those are purley marketing terms and not true localites) and grabowskyi which are also variable depending on their localitys with the two most common in the hobby being Sumatrans and Borneos. Yunnanensis are the smallest of all the subspecies, helfernbergi( the best looking imo) are incredibly rare in the US with only two people I know of working with them and schmackeri also currently suffer the same issue. That just leaves callicyanous which are obviously quite popular in the hobby.

2 Likes

Thanks everyone for all the knowledge you all shared, :grin:

When I decide to breed with my Taiwanese friend. :snake:

I make sure to keep to not mix up the species and appreciate its inherent beauty. :wink:

I have been told that the brightest orange coloration of some Ridleyi is a recessive morph. Anyways, I have two normal looking Ridleyi that were sold to be as hets for that trait, so I’ll see in a few years if that proves out as recessive.