OTM New Category or Change in Rules?

So I am starting this thread to get a better sense of the community’s stance on this.

As of current, the competition does not allow people to post wild animals or photos from herping, or animals that are not their own.

Personally, I am proposing that we change the rule to allow the posting of photos from herping sessions. Though I feel like we should still keep the rule that we cannot post animals that we do not own, because of copyright issues due to the fact that the animals belong to other people and permission to take photos would be unknown at that point.

I feel like creating a new category at this point does not make much sense because we’re not getting enough submissions of herping photos to really warrant adding a new category.

@eaglereptiles what do you think?

9 Likes

Sounds like a good idea to me :wink:
Both sound like they would work great!

6 Likes

Personally, I think adding an additional category would not only keep things fair per the rules, but would also inspire people to herp more, or at least share their photos of herping more. It would also give the contest more diversity in regards to what gets shown, as far as showing what’s local to the people that are involved, and would give people a better idea of what’s native to our respective countries and areas within said countries.

8 Likes

Annnnd it would give us an opportunity for a new type of badge.

5 Likes

I love the idea of adding a “wild herps” category! Could we include inverts in that?

7 Likes

Maybe call it the “herping adventure picture of the month”? And that could include all things wild animals?

6 Likes

I like the ideas!

3 Likes

I have always been an advocate of posting proper herping photos (e.g., no free-handling of rattlesnakes!!! :face_with_symbols_over_mouth: ) so I am all for it

7 Likes

I love the idea of wild animals as a category.

4 Likes

I’m going to agree with @wrai . I love the idea of a wild herps category, and it would be awesome to see everyone’s gorgeous helping finds! :heart: :snake:

4 Likes