Outdoor cages

Kind of a dumb question but here goes nothing, In the foreseeable future can I build an escape-proof cage for an adult Cali king? I’m saying this because my local hiking trails are chock-full of snakes, Cali kings, Rattlers, Rosy boas Etc.

• Reminder this is only for an Adult king

Why do you want an outdoor enclosure? It will be harder to control temperatures and humidity, you likely won’t be able to enjoy it as much, and if the snake escapes there is a little to no chance of finding it again. The main benefits of outdoor enclosures are more space for bigger enclosures. It’s possible to make an outdoor enclosure, typically out of wood or pvc. You’re going to have to have some woodworking skills and have equipment to assemble it (especially a circular/table/radial arm saw and a drill).

6 Likes

Doing outdoor enclosures for snakes is really hard because of how enclosed it really has to be. I know some people will keep large pythons in outside enclosures so that they can provide them with more space but these enclosures have to virtually airtight unless it is really understood how small of a gap snakes can get through. Just remember, we don’t want more media stains on the hobby.

4 Likes

Where do you live?
High temps during summer?
Low temps during winter?
Humidity range?
Do you live near any crazy wild animals that could somehow get into a enclosure and harm our pet?

These factors will help us not only tell you what you will be able to house outdoors but also what enclosure style would work best.

2 Likes

I live in Los Angeles California,
Highest temps i wanna say are 98- 105 degrees
lowest temps during winter are 40-59 degrees
Humidity range can range from 11% to 70% depending on time of year
And the biggest threat to the snake is probaly a hawk or another kingsnake

1 Like

I am extremly aware of this, i am also worried about the snake possibly digging under the enclosure

1 Like

I will most def have someone experienced help me with this, I figured since these are locally common I would have little to no problem with this?

1 Like

The bottom would be solid and connected to the walls and frame.

3 Likes

It’s still going to be difficult and you’re still going to need a heat source, hides, cover, etc. It could also require vet bills since there’s a higher chance of injury or parasites. I still don’t see a reason why you want to do this. What are the benefits?

2 Likes

DIY cages sells a fairly cheap horizontal screen enclosure. 4 ft long by 2ft high by 2 ft deep. It would be a good outdoor enclosure.

3 Likes

Due to limited space, I thought I could make this work for the time being and possibly when I have somewhere bigger, I could possibly move the enclosure inside or choose to keep it out side.

3 Likes

It is possible, but for something like a king I am not sure it is practical. Something like what Ty posted above would be a start but you would need to account for a shaded sheltered area and movement of the sun through the day and the like

5 Likes

Yep, it would really be a hassle, but it can be done. It would not be cost-efficient or time-efficient, but I understand that space can be limited inside. Put your mind to it but understand that it won’t be easy. :slight_smile:

Yep, not sure for a kingsnake it would be very efficient like it would with a python or tegu, etc. I feel like if you were to commit to a project like this, the risk of the heat or parasites wouldn’t be worth it for me.

3 Likes