Painting on Aquarium Glass

Do any of you have experience painting aquarium glass? Are there good paints to use that won’t rub off? Are they safe for the reptiles (once cured)? I was thinking of paint to black out the back/sides to make some animals feeling more secure. Painting on the outside, obviously. But, I am still concerned about toxicity down the road…

1 Like

Well I work at a graffiti studio where I am constantly working with ink and paint of many kinds so I would recommend looking into maybe buff proof ink or paint. I know people who have painted sides of tanks without issue so I dont think you really have anything to worry about unless there was a leak of some kind. So maybe re seal the tank if you dont trust the adhesive?

2 Likes

Oh and on other thing. If you get something buff proof just know it wont come off. So if you want something temporary then regular paint would work.

1 Like

I paint the backs of all of my fish tanks. Ive used spray paint, as well as basic brush on latex paint. If you have to paint inside the house since it’s cold right now I suggest brush on over spray.

2 Likes

I have an insulated garage, so it stays warm enough… Given the choice @randall_turner_jr would you prefer spray? Brands? I appreciate your input, all!

1 Like

You can either brush or spray any paint of your choice although I would start with a spray primer for smooth surfaces to avoid drips. Practice on cardboard first if you don’t paint a lot.

Use multiple coats of verathane or miniwax outdoor urethane sprayed or brushed on the finished product for durability, sheen, and to make it water proof. If you don’t seal it with urethane I’d use outdoor paint of some sort as indoor paint will peel eventually if exposed to high humidity.

Surface prep is very important to good adhesion. For best results allow paint to cure for several hours (or a whole day if you have the patience) between each coat. Rushing coats will cause it to peel or bubble down the road.

2 Likes

If you go with indoor painting I’d stick with brush on. I haven’t had any preference of one brand over another. I’d go with the painting experts for input on that.

2 Likes

I’ve painted the sides of all my glass enclosures with Acrylic paint. It works well, dries super fast and it’s cheap. I think a big bottle of it from walmart was 2 bucks.

2 Likes