Palaski Pythons 2021 Season Thread

Let us know who you end up picking to keep! :sunglasses:

2 Likes

I personally like 1 and 6 :blush:

1 Like

Here is a sneak preview of Clutch #2. I wasn’t really expecting to see a pip for another day or two but obviously someone had other plans. Once they are out, I will post the pairing and a pic of the clutch. Stay tuned.

4 Likes

Alrighty then. The second baby pipped this evening, so I moved all of the eggs off the vermiculite onto wet paper towel. Since the two had already poked their heads out, I snipped a little to see what they were. So now I will tell you the pairing was a 0.1 Ghost phet Pied to a Pied Clown. As you can see in the pic, she is no longer possible het but 100% het for Pied. I will post pics of all of them, once the climb out. I am not cutting the other eggs, just waiting for them to pip on their own. The two that have pipped are a Normal triple het Pied/Ghost/Clown and a Pied dbl het Clown/Ghost. Hopefully more of those to come, but if not, I am already thrilled.

8 Likes

Score one for the home team! Congratulations on proving her out. Excited to see the whole clutch!

2 Likes

Sadly, I have some bad news to report. Out of the 5 eggs, the first two pipped on day 59 and 60 and both crawled out on day 61. The other three hadn’t even slit their shells yet by day 62, so I chose to cut even though it is not my practice. One of the three poked its head out within a few hours but it was evident that it had a cleft upper jaw. I doubt it would have been able to cut itself out of the egg because I’m not sure it had a developed egg tooth. The other two were completely not viable. I will spare any pictures of those but here is a pic of the three that are out. I am not sure if the one with the deformity will thrive (right). It will depend on its ability to eat on its own. I will post pictures of its face later when its had a chance to settle. It just crawled out of the egg this morning. If it can thrive, it will simply be a pet. The first two came out fine. I will not be repeating this pairing but will need to do some other pairing before I can determine what went wrong. The male is proven but I had not been the one to prove him out. I will reach out to the breeder. The female was unproven until this year so this is the only sample set. Hopefully I will have better news to report on the other clutches still in the incubator.

3 Likes

Sad to hear about the lost eggs, but given it was mom’s first clutch, that’s not too unusual

2 Likes

Really sorry to hear this! I’m hoping you have better luck with your remaining clutches! The two pieds are nice looking! One on the right looks like it has some dark patches!

2 Likes

Thanks Shaun. The one on the right is the one with the cleft lip. If it doesn’t eat on its own, I may elect to euthanize it. I’ll give it plenty of chances first, 6 maybe more, but long term I can’t see condemning it to a life of assist feeding. I do see some type of tongue flicking but of course it doesn’t look like a proper tongue. Here are a couple pics. It also still has a little bit of its umbilicus still hanging out and it is bleeding slightly. I am not sure what to do with that. Any suggestions?

2 Likes

I feel like more than statistics are going on here :face_with_monocle:

But without a Super in sight, parthenogenesis seems unlikely.

1 Like

I had actually considered it but for the same reason you stated, and the fact this is a first clutch to be borne by this 2018 female, I pretty much discounted the notion of partho.

2 Likes

The two healthy hatchlings from clutch #2 have shed. The third hatchling with the cleft upper jaw has not shed yet, but I’m keeping my fingers crossed that it will soon. Here are post shed pics of the two. I will post a pic of the third one when it is done shedding.

1.0 Normal triple het Clown/Pied/Ghost

0.1 Pied dbl het Clown/Ghost

6 Likes

I love the look of that pied :grin::grin:

1 Like

Thanks Riley. I am pretty partial to medium Pieds myself so I was really happy with her look as well.

2 Likes

While I was waiting for Clutch #2 to shed, Clutch #3 decided to hatch. I started with 5 eggs but lost one about week 6. Everything is double het for Pied/Ghost. The four that hatched are 2 Fire OD, 1 OD and 1 Fire. It’s a small clutch but I am happy with the results. I’ll post individual pics after they shed. Thanks for looking.

5 Likes

That one on the far right near the top is my favorite. Love the pattern

2 Likes

Alright, I lied. Here are individual pics of each one, even though they haven’t shed yet. I will take some after they shed as well.

6 Likes

Nice! The orange dream fires really stand out! There popping!

2 Likes

Circling back to clutch 2 for a moment. The little one with the cleft jaw, was able to shed on its own. I was happy to see that. If it will eat on its own, then it could make someone a nice pet someday.

4 Likes

The last two from clutch #1 have finally shed. Here are a pic of each of the individuals that hadn’t shed and then a group shot. Should have some fully shed pictures of clutch #3 here soon and clutch #4 is due to pip in about a week.

5 Likes