Papuan carpet vs woma

what do u think is a better pet, a woma or a ij/papuan carpet python?

Depends what you are looking for. Size wise, they stay about the same but womas can technically get up to 8 feet. They are both somewhat simple to “tame” and handle. Both should be fine in a 4x2x2 as well. The biggest difference is what is ideal for them to be fed. Carpets can do well on a diet of rodents and quail. However, in my opinion, that really isn’t ideal for them as the are reptile eaters in the wild. A diet consisting of stuff like the iguana meat reptilinks, frog reptilinks, fog/quail reptilinks, and whole prey quail with a rat thrown in every once in awhile if you want to or one of your other snakes doesn’t eat.

I don’t have any experience with either however so take that into consideration. I believe @t_h_wyman has experience with both though.

2 Likes

ok thanks I was also looking at Bredls pythons.
is there any Capet pythons that stay under 5 as males?

1 Like

Darwin’s, IJ, and jungle python males usually stay between 4-6 feet. remember that there are always going to be outliers and as they never stop growing, they could grow over that even after they seem to stop growing.

3 Likes

will a male bredls stay around that too?

1 Like

probably not. most will get 6+ feet around 4-5 years from what I understand.

2 Likes

ok thanks cool

1 Like

The papuan carpet is going to make a better pet if that’s your goal. They are just a more tractable animal than a Woma or Blackhead. Womas can generally be tamed down but they never really chill out, they’re pretty squirmy. They also have a psychotic feeding response that can be a little bit intimidating.

4 Likes

Ok I think I am going to get a IJ or a jungle.

2 Likes

Jungles are going to be the more nippy of those two. Papuans are usually the least defensive of the carpets.

2 Likes

Ya that’s ok I’m not to worried about that, I’m not going to be handling them all the time. Definitely leaning towards a IJ. Do u know when carpet pythons start hatching so I know when to buy a baby?

1 Like

Eggs are dropping for the early birds but generally between now and June most eggs will be laid. They take 60 days.

1 Like

ok thank you

1 Like

Actually… No he does not :rofl: :rofl:

My experience with Aspedites is solely with blackheads and my carpet experience is limited to bredli

That said, the best way to answer the question is to ask you back what it is your are looking for, exactly

Don is very much correct that a Papuan carpet is going to be significantly more tractable and handleable. Womas are best thought of as being like CalKings on steroids. They have a vigorous feed response and also like to explore the world with their mouths (e.g., “Can I eat this??”) When you are handling any Aspedites you have to be constantly paying attention because if you do not you are likely going to take a bite

I will caution however, that, while young, all carpet pythons tend to be a bit nippy so there is a chance you will take a nip from one of them as well. They almost always grow out of this, but every now and then - as with any snake - you might get one that is just a jerk. Getting an animal that is around a year or so old from a reliable breeder is usually the best bet for an animal that has calmed some and has a more known disposition

As far as bredli, I absolutely loved mine. As a semi-arboreal, they are lighter build so while they can get larger, even a 1.8m male is very easy to handle and much more compact than you might think

It is also important to note that the maximum potential size of an animal is not a guarantee that your specific animal will hit that size. There are humans that are 2.2m+ tall, but they tend to be few and far between :grin: :+1:t4:

If you are solidly set on a Papuan carpet, you might find this helpful (and if you are just interested in carpets in general, MPR is an excellent resource with over a decade of shows)

4 Likes

close enough :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye: :rofl:

2 Likes

thanks I think I like IJS best

1 Like