Parthenogenesis and null allele

Coming back to parthno, are they always produced with no pairing? Is it possible to have parthno offspring in a clutch where the male has donated genetic information? Does pairing help stimulte a female to go on to produce a parthenogenesis clutch?

2 Likes

If I’m not mistaken you can have a split partho clutch.

3 Likes

I’ve been thinking a little bit about partho clutches and are most partho laying females older? If so it would seem like they lay partho because if a female can live that long in the wild there should be more of them to strengthen the genetic population, kind of like another level of natural selection.

1 Like

As Shawn noted below, it is not uncommon to see clutches that have both parthenogenetic and sexually produced offspring in them.

As far as snakes go, that has yet to be determined. There are some lizard species that require mating for clutch production though.

No, we just sort of have a false impression on that because the ones that make the news are solo animals from zoos and such that tend to have been alone in those collections for a long time. But when you look within the hobby itself it is not uncommon to see first time clutches being partho

3 Likes

Hi, does anyone know if it’s possible to get males in Partho clutches? Have a pastel Bourgogne female who was paired only to a firefly dg- 6 eggs only 3 made incubation. Pastel Bourgognes and a super pastel Bourgogne Male- no way the firefly is het for Bourgogne. So really confused- female was never bred beforehand. Thanks

2 Likes

It’s not possible. It might be possible to have a split partho clutch but I’m not positive. There’s a good discussion about males in partho clutches here:

3 Likes

Well, that confuses the clutch even more! Thankyou for that.

1 Like

It is documented that you can split parth/sexual clutches

You could not get a Pastel in a partho clutch either.

Perhaps male is not het for Burg but is het for one of the other alleles in the group

3 Likes

I recently had what I believe is a parthenogenic clutch. I bought a pair from another breeder, an axanthic male and a fire pastel yb het axanthic female. The pair had produced a clutch last year of various combinations of fire, pastel, yb and axanthic/het axanthic. I paired them again for this year, and the mom produced 5 eggs, one died in the egg before hatching. The other 4 hatched successfully, all females.

To my surprise, 3 of the hatchlings are leucistics. At first I thought maybe the father is a fire axanthic, just because of the leucitic babies. But upon reading about parthenogenic clutches and how the moms genes doubles up in the babies, I realized my clutch might well be parthenogenic. The last baby which I initially thought was a fire pastel, could well be a super pastel. Not sure if this matters, but upon checking my breeding records, there were no witnessed locks from the pair this season. Am I right that I most likely have a parthenogenic clutch?

My next concern is the viability and fecundity of the hatchlings. The hatchlings all seem healthy for the most part, just a little weaker than usual. A little slower to get to feed, etc. Is it confirmed that all hatchlings from Partheno clutches do not survive or do not breed well?

Thank you for your help.

2 Likes

Most likely they are Ivory combos

That would be the most likely candidate

Pretty much, yeah.

Jump over to The Reptile Gumbo Podcast from last night. Warren and I (mostly Warren) talked pretty extensively on this topic

2 Likes

I was thinking actually super fires, but yes they could be ivories, or I guess even both?

Wow ok thank you so much! Will look into the Podcast!

1 Like

I missed that there was Fire in the pairing, so yes you are correct that they could be SuperFire or SuperFire/Ivory

2 Likes

So I need some help. I just bought a snake from a Partheno clutch. Mom was Cinnamon + GHI + Mojave. Baby is all white. Breeder has her listed as Super Mojave POS Super Cinnamon, and Super GHI. Any insights on accurate genes of the baby?

1 Like

I’m pretty sure if Partho then baby should be exactly the same morph as mum.

Also I’m unsure if can be bred?…
I’ll tag @saleengrinch and @t_h_wyman as may be more help!

1 Like

No, they’re usually half clones → haploid chromosomes being duplicated to a dipoid state. So for example if the mom was a het pied, babies would either be homozygous normal or homozygous pied (visual)

3 Likes

Ah so Snakes are different than other reptile?

Cresties for instance are little clones of mum :blush:

1 Like

Super mojaves also have grey heads. So assuming yours does too? :blush:

Or will the other genes influence this? I haven’t seen any take the head colour away myself, but would be cool if you could… :thinking:

1 Like

Infertile in ball pythons and have shortened life spans.

This👆🏻 @chesterhf is the other legit genetics expert on here. I just dabble lol

4 Likes

The genetics will be super mojave, super cinnamon, super GHI. Everyone already explained why. Additionally she may not live very long and she won’t be able to breed.

1 Like

Not necessarily. It depends on chromosomal segregation during meiosis. There are four possibilities for what this animal could be:

SuperMojave
SuperCinny SuperMojave
SuperGHI SuperMojave
SuperCinny SuperGHI Super Mojave

As for what @beachratsandballs’s animal is… That is going to be hard to tell. If you have a blacklight, you can try hitting it an looking for pattern. I would imagine a SuperCinny SuperMojave would be totally patternless. I am not certain how SuperGHI might impact any underlying patterning. If the head is not the characteristic grey-ish of a SuperMojave then it would lend toward a combo, but again, not sure which would damp the head colour down (or both might so… :man_shrugging:t4: ) If there is any indication of duckbilling or kinking then you can pretty much bet on SuperCinny.
Also, @beachratsandballs, as has been noted, your animal should probably not be bred and there is a fairly high likelihood that it will have a truncated lifespan.

I am not sure that this has been genetically proven to be the case. I would guess that they, like snakes, are half-clones and not full clones

4 Likes