Parthenogenesis and null allele

Well, that confuses the clutch even more! Thankyou for that.

1 Like

It is documented that you can split parth/sexual clutches

You could not get a Pastel in a partho clutch either.

Perhaps male is not het for Burg but is het for one of the other alleles in the group

3 Likes

I recently had what I believe is a parthenogenic clutch. I bought a pair from another breeder, an axanthic male and a fire pastel yb het axanthic female. The pair had produced a clutch last year of various combinations of fire, pastel, yb and axanthic/het axanthic. I paired them again for this year, and the mom produced 5 eggs, one died in the egg before hatching. The other 4 hatched successfully, all females.

To my surprise, 3 of the hatchlings are leucistics. At first I thought maybe the father is a fire axanthic, just because of the leucitic babies. But upon reading about parthenogenic clutches and how the moms genes doubles up in the babies, I realized my clutch might well be parthenogenic. The last baby which I initially thought was a fire pastel, could well be a super pastel. Not sure if this matters, but upon checking my breeding records, there were no witnessed locks from the pair this season. Am I right that I most likely have a parthenogenic clutch?

My next concern is the viability and fecundity of the hatchlings. The hatchlings all seem healthy for the most part, just a little weaker than usual. A little slower to get to feed, etc. Is it confirmed that all hatchlings from Partheno clutches do not survive or do not breed well?

Thank you for your help.

2 Likes

Most likely they are Ivory combos

That would be the most likely candidate

Pretty much, yeah.

Jump over to The Reptile Gumbo Podcast from last night. Warren and I (mostly Warren) talked pretty extensively on this topic

2 Likes

I was thinking actually super fires, but yes they could be ivories, or I guess even both?

Wow ok thank you so much! Will look into the Podcast!

1 Like

I missed that there was Fire in the pairing, so yes you are correct that they could be SuperFire or SuperFire/Ivory

2 Likes

So I need some help. I just bought a snake from a Partheno clutch. Mom was Cinnamon + GHI + Mojave. Baby is all white. Breeder has her listed as Super Mojave POS Super Cinnamon, and Super GHI. Any insights on accurate genes of the baby?

1 Like

I’m pretty sure if Partho then baby should be exactly the same morph as mum.

Also I’m unsure if can be bred?…
I’ll tag @saleengrinch and @t_h_wyman as may be more help!

1 Like

No, they’re usually half clones → haploid chromosomes being duplicated to a dipoid state. So for example if the mom was a het pied, babies would either be homozygous normal or homozygous pied (visual)

3 Likes

Ah so Snakes are different than other reptile?

Cresties for instance are little clones of mum :blush:

1 Like

Super mojaves also have grey heads. So assuming yours does too? :blush:

Or will the other genes influence this? I haven’t seen any take the head colour away myself, but would be cool if you could… :thinking:

1 Like

Infertile in ball pythons and have shortened life spans.

This👆🏻 @chesterhf is the other legit genetics expert on here. I just dabble lol

4 Likes

The genetics will be super mojave, super cinnamon, super GHI. Everyone already explained why. Additionally she may not live very long and she won’t be able to breed.

1 Like

Not necessarily. It depends on chromosomal segregation during meiosis. There are four possibilities for what this animal could be:

SuperMojave
SuperCinny SuperMojave
SuperGHI SuperMojave
SuperCinny SuperGHI Super Mojave

As for what @beachratsandballs’s animal is… That is going to be hard to tell. If you have a blacklight, you can try hitting it an looking for pattern. I would imagine a SuperCinny SuperMojave would be totally patternless. I am not certain how SuperGHI might impact any underlying patterning. If the head is not the characteristic grey-ish of a SuperMojave then it would lend toward a combo, but again, not sure which would damp the head colour down (or both might so… :man_shrugging:t4: ) If there is any indication of duckbilling or kinking then you can pretty much bet on SuperCinny.
Also, @beachratsandballs, as has been noted, your animal should probably not be bred and there is a fairly high likelihood that it will have a truncated lifespan.

I am not sure that this has been genetically proven to be the case. I would guess that they, like snakes, are half-clones and not full clones

4 Likes

From the Cresties I’ve seen from partho, they’ve been clones of mum, they’re awesome :grin:
Shame my partho egg didn’t make it as would’ve loved to have seen a mini Dolly :pensive:

1 Like

What genetic types are we talking about with your cresties?
If these are line bred traits then that would make sense, as that would really just be in-house line breeding.

It would be cool if you could whip up a topic on your partho clutches :wink:

2 Likes

As Thomas notes, with the highly polygenetic nature of crestie morphs, unless you were working with one of the very few proven Mendelian traits, or did genetic level testing, you could not verifiably claim that the babies are full clones of the mother

4 Likes

May have over looked this information somehow, but how likely is the female that laid the partho clutch to do it again? And is there any issues to look for with the female? Any reason not to continue breeding her?

2 Likes

Females that produce partho clutches are not obligate. I have a female that has produced sexually before and threw partho last year. I also had an animal that appeared to have gone five breedings under the following pattern: partho, sexual, partho, sexual, sexual.

These females do not appear to have any issues with them, it is just a random occurrence that happens

6 Likes

Hi All
I have a 700 gram Albino Piebald female that I have been raising up. She laid 4 eggs unexpectedly a couple months ago. She has never been bred or paired with a male. Today, on Easter the Virgin clutch has all the heads coming out of the eggs.

They all seem to be normals.

I was expecting albinos, Albino Piebalds, Piebalds, and normals. I also expect them to be all females. Please let me know if this makes sense.

Thanks

2 Likes