Parthenogenetic crested gecko egg

I have a female Crestie here, she’s around 2 1/2 now, never been with a male with me or previous owner as not up to weight yet, so she’s a virgin. Since being here I’ve gotten 3 clutches of infertile eggs from her. Now last week I found her laying, 1 egg appeared to be different this time and had a red dot. I decided to keep it back and put in the egg box to incubate, Well I’ve just checked and I have a cheerio! Now I’ve researched and found that Altitude Exotics asked about this in 2013 as he had his virgin female laid one! Very rare to happen but looks like we have a little special baby on the way! :smiling_face_with_three_hearts:
Well done Dolly you special mummy! Hopefully this little one forms and hatches, Will see in a couple months! :blush:

11 Likes

This is awesome! :partying_face: I can’t wait to see how it looks when it hatches.

1 Like

Oh this is going to be a loooooonnnggg wait for me! :sweat_smile:
Usually look like clones of mum from other animals laying parthenogenetically that I’ve seen. So that I don’t mind at all! So strange yet exciting! :relaxed:

1 Like

It’d be funny if you named the baby Dolly. Interestingly enough Dolly was the first mammal (a sheep) cloned from a somatic cell. Dolly the sheep was cloned Dolly the gecko was a cloner. :joy: :rofl: :joy:

4 Likes

Haha I said to the other half, Mini Dolly! Or DJ ‘Dolly junior’ if a boy! Though usually end up female…
So she is Dolly!
I forgot about the sheep! Omg what are the odds :joy:

3 Likes

The only problem with Mini Dolly is that they grow so fast. Within a couple years they’ll be almost the same size. It sounds like you could have a lot of fun with the names. And of course you have to name it so you’re going to be keeping it too. :rofl:

3 Likes

Omg I’ve got it!
Dolly Mixture… :joy:

1 Like

That’s amazing! Keep us updated.

1 Like

Def keep us updated, I’ve only heard of a few times this has happened!

It’s going to be awesome, so happy for you and go mummy Crestie

2 Likes

Will do for sure!
I’ve been trying to find more online, a couple didn’t fully form and died before hatching. couple have been fine, ones even got a tiny eye but doing great!
So I’m being hopeful for now!
She’s a good girl, and to think I nearly didn’t get her! I brought her from the same person I brought Akira from, took a chance as I thought she was really pretty. Special girl that’s for sure!

3 Likes

Tom Favazza of Geckological has documented parthenogenesis in cresties a few times (and also leachies). It is not as common as we see in some snakes but it does not appear to be super unusual

3 Likes

Oh really? Haven’t read that! Can I find it online?

Tom does not have a huge online presence. He used to post on the old BLBC, but unfortunately when that tanked all the information there was basically lost.

I can try and see if I can get him to come in here and join the conversation

3 Likes

I’m not a social media person so I’ve just been searching the web for anymore that have been hatched, seems a lot don’t make it unfortunately…
Yeah anymore info would be amazing! I’m keeping a close eye as it’s something I’ve never had or seen happen so hoping goes well :sweat_smile:

3 Likes

I’ve had 2 Partho babies myself, unfortunately most of the time in documented cases the embryo dies before hatching or shortly after because of severe birth defects. My first hatched and lived a month with severe defects including large back kinks, backwards feet, extra toes, and her heart not fully contained within her chest. Second Partho passed in egg at the 62day mark. Not to sound negative or degrading, just trying to prepare you, I was not and it was hard and traumatic for me and I don’t want that to happen to others. Best of luck with your baby

4 Likes

Hey,
No I read a lot online and found most do die, so I’m not being too hopeful, just making sure eggs ok and we will see what happens.
There’s one on YouTube with one very tiny eye (eye defect) actually that I found. Was a few years ago so no idea if it lived. But did grow and seemed to do well.
We shall see though. I won’t be too hopeful. Well I’ll try not too!
Dolly will be paired up in a few weeks so I won’t expect anymore from her, was just amazing that it happened as not something I’ve personally witnessed :blush:

2 Likes

I spoke with Tom last night but he had just gotten back from Schaumberg and was having horrible allergies. He said he would try to dip in here in a day or three after he has had some R&R time

5 Likes

Thankyou for that.
No rush, allergies are horrible so I’d be chilling aswell!

4 Likes

Dolly’s parthenogenetic egg is doing well. Went a Funny shape but growing nicely inside so fingers crossed for the little one! :grin:

5 Likes

What ever ended up happening to Dolly’s egg?

2 Likes