Pet for my 11 year old daughter

It would be for an 11 year old. She isn’t afraid to feed animal, as she grew up with large and small snakes. Can be good with handling, or doesn’t like it when handled. We were looking for a pet for her and really liked a keel bellied lizard but he just got bought so I’m looking for something else, maybe a snake or lizard. She is able to care for an animal that is challenging and also doesn’t mind if she can only look not hold the animal

3 Likes

Hello sweet
Sorry he sold that’s a shame
My little girl is 11 and enjoys all my Reptiles also but absolutely loves my ackie monitor (if you have room) as he comes out and climbs all over her and loves feeding time and is also awake when she is, otherwise green tree skinks are pretty cool and can be handled too. Eyed lizards amazing amazing amazing lol, collard lizard and orange agamas are fab with great little characters. Most skinks are great but can hide a lot, peters banded skinks are the best but pink tongue high on my list x

3 Likes

When buying pets for kids you usually have to be prepared to take care of the animal yourself and do the work once the excitement wears off. I would think 11 would be old enough to be responsible enough to take care of an animal but that depends. It seems you trust her enough to take care of the animal.
Onto the animal, what kind of animals are you interested in getting her and what restrictions are there? Is there a limit on enclosure size, hottest temperature, food, etc? You could get anything from a bearded dragon, blue-tongued skink, crocodile skink, day gecko, crested or gargoyle gecko, rosy boa, sand boa, corn snake, etc. You could really get almost anything. Is there a preference on whether or not it can be handled? I personally don’t think an ackie or other monitor (except kings rock/dwarf) would be a very good pet idea for a child to solety take care of. Seeing how big and strong they are there’s a lot that could go wrong.

4 Likes

Chahoua gecko is vote for a pet lizard. Room temp species and mine do great with handling for people of all ages. Easy to feed and a decent size as well.

2 Likes

Crested or gargoyle geckos are a good starter species. Room temp conditions so no need for extra heating equipment and such. They eat a pre-made mix so no need to worry about bugs getting loose in the house or crickets chirping annoyingly all night. They are easy to handle and generally have a good temperament

7 Likes

A boa would work if she doesn’t mind a slightly bigger snake in the end. I mean it worked for me but I was 15ish and had been wanting a boa for a long time, which allowed me to be personally aware for the size that they can achieve. They are not a issue with handling, they maybe a little nippy as baby, but usually they could care less. They eat like champs, and are easy to care for. Plus there is a variety of color and pattern morphs to choose from.
Personally, I would go a boa (I may be biased :grin:) because they are truly, in my opinion, the perfect first pet snake.
I hope whatever you/she pick(s) I think that it will turn out, due to the fact that she has been raised around snakes.
Keep us updated, let us know what you decide. :grin:

3 Likes

I thought to recommend crested geckos also but I saw that they were considering a pet lizard that not many people keep. Chahoua need similar things to cresteds but less common. I second the crested gecko recommendation also if that is more the way you want to go. We keep those also and love them also.

3 Likes

Hognose snakes are always a given for me, love their little attitudes. If you’re okay with some larger lizardsa BTS or B&W Tegu would be cool. False Water Cobras, Cribos, Some of the larger Ratsnakes are some nice unique snake options.

Dumerils Boas are also super underrated and great for handling. Along with any kingsnake species!

2 Likes

I think sand boas make great pets for children. Small, very hardy, easy to care for and pretty much never bite. Plus they come in a lot of cool colors.

6 Likes

I cannot advocate FWC. While opistoglyphous, the venom from these animals is no joke and would likely result in serious problems for a young child. I also hesitate on hognose for similar reason. Generally, hognose venom is not medically significant for an adult but it might have a stronger response in a child. A child’s fingers are also smaller and easier to bite

10 Likes

OP lives in Florida I think where they just banned tegus @halohelix

6 Likes

Not sure where you are located, but take her to an expo, if one is close by, and let her check out the myriad of options. See what she gravitates towards and make an informed decision. Plus, you and she could ask the breeder questions.

Me personally, I’m a snake guy. There’s nothing wrong with a first reptile being a Corn, King, or Milk snake. Sand and Rosy boas are also awesome options. There’s also dwarf python species like Antaresia (Children’s, Spotted, etc) that are pretty straightforward and affordable.

6 Likes

Sorry guys, I just got signed out and don’t know how to sign back in, it won’t work so I guess this is my new account :joy:. But what I was about to say was that my daughter has a size preference, she would like something larger, and I know she will have no problem handling a larger animal, as she grew up around Burmese Pythons and I had two iguanas as well. She also has no restrictions highest temperature, food, and enclosure size. She doesn’t have a problem with feeding rabbits or large rats or maybe pigs. She is going to be able to have this animal to herself and she knows that it is a living animal so she needs to take good care of it no matter the challenge or how time consuming it may be. She wants a smart animal though. Any ideas, I like tegu and ackie monitor!

Retics are smart, lol :joy:

Just kidding that’s probably not a good time first pet snake

1 Like

Yes I know, but she doesn’t really want a snake, we already have so many, 69! :joy:

3 Likes

Other suggestions?

I would say a monitor, if she’s going to work for the trust.

2 Likes

If you can properly provide the size and environmental requirements, a Caiman lizard, Dracaena guianensis might be a good candidate

5 Likes

I agree with @t_h_wyman a caiman lizard would be amazing to have

2 Likes

Ok so larger and a lizard. How about cyclura? I know it’s an iguana but definitely different than a regular green. Or since I love geckos how about a leachie? If those are smaller than she would like how about cummingi? Smaller than a full blow Asian but definitely bigger than a giant gecko.

2 Likes