Pet smart has me interested in this morph

I worked at a number of chain pet stores over the years, including PetCo and PetLand. I’m sure PetSmart is not much different. I know exactly how the ball pythons at these stores are sourced and cared for. To make a long story short, don’t ever, ever, buy a ball python from a place like this. Not only will the animal you get be potentially unhealthy, but you’ll be supporting a business that systemically neglects its animals, sometimes causing their deaths. I don’t want to go into detail here, but feel free to message me if feel the need to know the specifics.

1 Like

While I’ll never do it again, my ball is from a chain pet store. She’s thankfully healthy as a horse and pounds food like it’s going out of style. On the other side of the coin when I was younger I got a ball from the same type of store and she ended up have neurological problems and died three days after bringing her home. My husbandry was poor at the time but that shouldn’t have done her in so quickly.

I can also say going to shows is an equal crap shoot. Some breeders equally treat animals poorly and I’ve had just as many (if not more) problems with expo animals.

In the end its important to know your information beforehand, ask the right questions, and make informed decisions regardless of where you get your animals from.

I only really ever buy from friends vending at shows and I know a decent amount of breeders that I have worked with and am friends with so I always see at least some of them at my local shows. You only really ever know how breeders treat their animals if you see their collection in person. The only other time I buy from other people is if they are local sellers and they allow me to see some of their other animals for a reference of their care or if someone recommends me a seller they have had good experience with. This isn’t to say that other sellers are bad it’s just the way I acquire my animals.

2 Likes

You’re lucky you have a circle of friends like that… Unfortunately we all can’t be so lucky. Pet stores, breeders, online sales, shows. No matter where you go or what you buy from you gotta be informed.

That said. Chain pet stores are probably some of the worst to go to for a snake. I count myself lucky every day my girl is the amazing snake she is despite the conditions she likely came from even before getting to the store.

2 Likes

It isn’t hard to become good friends with them, the love of snakes and reptiles in general keeps everyone tight knit. Just keep in touch with the breeder you buy a snake from. Some of them just message me randomly to show me eggs or babies cause they know I’m one of the few that go crazy for that. And by doing that they will usually message you about new animals they have before they even offer it to the public which is a plus

1 Like

I actually have one breeder like that. One of my snakes in my collection is from them. They are also great to go to for troubleshooting problems and questions that they can confirm with their experience. It’s to bad not everyone has such access so easily. It was a year after my collection before I found these forums and my breeder friend.

1 Like

Me and my buddy has some carpentry experience, nothing fancy but we can make a pretty nice cage. And the breeders I’m friends with will occasionally ask for me to build them cages. At this point I don’t even ask for cash they just trade me a snake for the value of the cage

1 Like

Luck duck lol

1 Like

So true @nathan_e