Phrynus whitei Molting

So I walked into my critter room a few days ago and witnessed a rare sight… I caught my Phrynus whitei in the act of molting!

Checked on it a few days later and it looked great!

8 Likes

I may be the only person to say this but…

DANG THATS FREAKING COOL!!

7 Likes

Haha I thought so too! I was stoked to see it. I watched for a few minutes, took a few photos, and then left the room so as not to disturb it. I wanted to watch the whole process so bad, but didn’t want to cause any undue stress.

4 Likes

That’s not only cool but it’s also fascinating! That’s nature regenerating itself! And yes @spottedbull I think it’s FREAKIN COOL :sunglasses: myself! Lol :spider::spider::spider::spider::spider::spider::spider::spider::spider::spider:

4 Likes

Oh. My. Gosh. That is SO COOL!!! What amazing photos, thanks for sharing!

I caught my widow molting a while back. I still regret not taking any pictures, but I noticed it literally as I was on my way out the door to work, so I could only watch for a couple minutes. I was so transfixed that it didn’t even occur to me to retrieve my phone and snap some pictures. :person_facepalming:

4 Likes

I know what you mean! I was also transfixed for the first minute or so. Honestly, when I think about how vulnerable these creatures are during the molting process, it’s amazing to me that they even survive in the wild.

5 Likes

Yeah exactly. A full grown tarantula, like an adult LP or a blondi can take weeks or months to fully harden back up.

5 Likes