Pic of ringer

Hi! I’m a very new breeder that’s wanting help with identifying markings and terms related to markings. I’ve read some posts about ringers that included pics, but none that highlighted it so that I understood what it was. Would someone be willing to tell me about ringers and post a pic with a ringer highlighted? TIA!

2 Likes

Easiest way to describe it is like a small pied area. The genetics are unknown as to what cause it as far as I know. Maybe @t_h_wyman or @chesterhf can explain the genetic cause. Here are some pictures of a few of my snakes with ringers.

5 Likes

I’ve got a Black Pastel with a nice little ringer. You can see the white part near the base of her tail really well.

6 Likes

@solsticeroyals Very nice example of a ringer. Super nice snake overall she would fit in well in my collection lol.

3 Likes

Hahahaha, yeah she would @saleengrinch thanks! She’s stunning! Gotta get me some blackhead or GHI to mix in

2 Likes

@solsticeroyals My blackhead male has been putting in double shifts lol. You should look into getting sable gene into your projects. It pairs very well with the darker genes!!

2 Likes

It is not so much genetics as it is cellular biology.

So… The sixty second version.

Most ringers occur right around the vent area of the animal, which is where, evolutionarily, there is a change in body structure/plan - basically it is the pelvis. The cells on either side of this area follow somewhat different developmental pathways. When the cellular communication pathway for laying down the colour/pattern has to traverse this region, it is a bit like having to navigate a really complex multi-interstate confluence:

Sometimes the pigmentation cells have trouble navigating this intersection and so they fail to deposit properly and you end up with an unpigmented area. Certain morphs (BlkPastel complex, Champagne, Pied…) seem to exacerbate the occurrence of this

10 Likes

I feel like this literally blew my mind. I’m still looking for the ringer in the highway!! Lol Very good explanation thanks for sharing your knowledge! In my experiences the black eyed Lucy complex produces at a higher rate as well.

4 Likes

Wow! Those were some beautiful examples, thank you!!! Here are a couple of pics of my champagne that’s supposed to be pied. Is this also a ringer? The guy I got her from wasn’t aware of what her wobble was, so it kinda made me wonder.

image|375x500

1 Like

And sorry for the late reply!

1 Like

Yes it is! Appears it has more than one ringer!

this one is harder to see. Its down toward the end of the tail

Yeah, this is just a ringer. Your Champ is not a Pied, at best it is a het Pied, at worst it is just a Champ with a couple ringers. Pied Champs are extreme high-/all-white

2 Likes