Picking up a new boa, transporting in cold weather

I am picking up a 5 month old boa in 2 weeks at a reptile expo. I am in NY, there is a pretty good chance the temps could be close to freezing outside. I will be in the show for about an hour, and I won’t be able to warm up the car before bringing in the snake. Will he be ok for the 10 minutes it takes for the heat to start to kick in? Or is there something I should do to keep him warm while transporting? It’s about a 45 minute drive home, where he will have his new home warm and ready for him. Thanks for your help on this!!

2 Likes

Snake will probably be fine but what you can do is tuck the snake (if it’s in a appropriate bag) against your skin/chest with your coat bundled in close. Obviously don’t suffocate the animal but it can get some amount of heat from your own natural body heat. Similar strats can be used if your power goes out during the winter.

3 Likes

Thanks for the tip!

2 Likes

I went and picked up a small power inverter to use to run heat tape and a thermostat when transporting animals during colder months. It’s done a nice job for me the past decade+. With that said, tucking the snake bag in your shirt for a single animal is the way to go imo.

4 Likes

Go to Wal-Mart and buy some handwarmers and if it’s in a shipping type box, just stick one on the outside and that will add some warmth

4 Likes