Picky Snails

Anyone have super picky terrestrial snails? My colony is picky to an extent that’s almost obnoxious.

They adore cucumbers more than anything in the world. When I first got them, I put some wild plants in the tank, thinking they would like that best. But they went straight for a cut daylily stem instead. After they demolished that, I gave them a little bit of raw pumpkin from when I was preparing one as a feeder toy for my dog, and they loved that too. But once I put a cucumber in the tank, they refuse to touch anything else. They went on a week+ hunger strike recently because I haven’t brought them cucumber, even though I’ve given them other fruits and veggies they’ve had in the past.
In the last 12 hours, the slice of pumpkin I put in there has grown some mold. I was planning on spot cleaning the tank tomorrow (one day’s rest in finals week).
Well, tonight, Hank (one of the 69 snails I have) found out the pumpkin was moldy and ran straight for the mold?? He was there for 30 minutes eating before he crawled off. I’m appalled that I spent so much effort cutting up so many different, diverse foods for the snails only for them to prefer literal mold XD

5 Likes

Ok that is so hilarious! Your snails remind me of my cat!! :joy:

Rocket Launch GIF

5 Likes

Haven’t thought about keeping snails but now you have me intrigued.

2 Likes