Pictures of reptiles in the “wild”

I caught one yesterday…no pictures but he was huge…like as big as a big bearded dragon bro :sunglasses:

6 Likes

I went to go chase it down then I realized I’m just strong, not fast🤣 Id love to keep one some day. They are absolutely stunning

6 Likes

I am pretty sure you can take them…but don’t quote me on that lol :joy:.

6 Likes

From what I have read they are invasive so I am assuming it would be actually a beneficial thing

5 Likes

Those guys are so cool!

5 Likes

They really are, so beautiful in person. The colors are really bright.

5 Likes

I know! The colors are great. They definitely need UVB lol :joy:

5 Likes

I finally have something to add to this thread! Saw this cute little dude at a pond down the road. I think it’s a six-lined racerunner.

9 Likes

I think that looks right. He is a beautiful boy!

4 Likes

What a cutie!

4 Likes

Two plain bellied water snakes. Been having lots of luck finding them after rain. Even caught a trio on the bank of our pond breeding!

And two sliders. Both returned to water.

A jumper

A walking stick

Little hummingbird. A ruby throated.

Two moths

Big boy, lol.

All the spiders I’ve found recently

Aaaand a baby rat snake

10 Likes

Wow what a treasure hunt!

5 Likes

That’s quite a little portfolio! Not sure I could choose a favorite shot - but fortunately I don’t have to. Thanks for sharing, @zer0stark7 .

7 Likes

I finally saw my first (wild) snakes of the year on Thursday!! And I saw not one, but three, all on the same trail and within about 20 minutes. Two gopher snakes and one California striped racer. Sadly I didn’t get a picture of the racer (barely got a good enough look to ID the species, and even that required a bit of a chase through the underbrush), but I got some pics of the gophers. One was quite a bit smaller than the other.

Here’s the bigger one, who was basking stretched out across the trail.

And here’s the smaller one. He was initially on the trail as well, but we sort of startled each other when I came around a corner, so he moved off the trail. But he didn’t go far and I was able to find him again (doing his very best impression of a stick on the ground) and snap a pic before he moved off into the tall grass.

10 Likes

Awesome Jennifer!

5 Likes

Why do turtles “try” to cross the road? To get to the pond on the other side dummy!

Husband was mowing the lawn and came across this little guy getting ready to venture out into the road headed to another pond in our subdivision. We have several ponds around us so right now the wildlife abounds. We have ducklings and goslings as well as bird nests in two of our bushes and one in a tree. There is a momma duck sitting on a pile of eggs under a bush by our front door. My husband puts out scratch grains and bird seed in the backyard so we have momma ducks with their babies chowing down as well. And of course there are bun buns hopping around too.

But I digress. I think this is a snapping turtle but he didn’t say as I carted him/her off to the nearest pond. I didn’t even get so much as a “thank you ma’am for rescuing me” as I watched his little turtle tail disappear into the murky pond water!

10 Likes

Nice find @caron! Looks like a painted turtle.

5 Likes

Hmmm! I did see some yellow and red on its head and legs. Its shell was so smooth too….

Thanks!

4 Likes

Yup I looked it up! It’s not as exotic as other finds in this thread but it was still kinda fun to take him safely to where he wanted to go!

4 Likes

Some of my friends found this juvenile gray tree frog while waiting for the bus to take us home. There wasn’t anywhere great to put it so I had to put it in a small tree :grimacing:. Hopefully it will be ok as it was a lifer. I have been looking for one for a long time but it seems the only things I can find are toads and northern green frogs.

7 Likes