Piebald Shedding Questions!

So I can normally tell when my snakes go into shed easily by checking if their belly is pink- checked my piebald today since he’s not active and noticed his belly is pink- but so are up the sides of his white areas? I’m not sure if it’s part of white morphs since he’s my first “white” ball python, but when he was younger his belly seemed transparent for many many months after we got him (until he was about 5ish months old. None of my other BPs had that happen except my banana, who kept a trans belly), and now when he seems to shed he’s very pink up the sides, sometimes on his back. Anyone else have this happen to their piebalds or white morph ball pythons?

Another unrelated question; what Pieds do you prefer? Low, med, or high whites?

Here’s a recent pic of my boy (after his previous shed!)

1 Like

I love that black patch behind its head! Super dark in comparison to the rest of the body

Bought him as a pied at a pet store- my breeder friend told me he’s a pastel pied paradox. I’m thinking he might have yellowbelly or be just a very bright pastel- in person he’s super gold and yellow.

1 Like

White snakes will turn completely pink, my pastel super mojave girl does when she’s in shed!
This picture doesn’t show it all that well but she was in shed here:

2 Likes

Thanks so much! I’m glad I finally got the answer to this “mystery”! And she’s real pretty

1 Like

Glad I could help! And thank you, she’s one of my favorites appearance-wise in my collection :grin: I’m hoping she’ll be able to lay a clutch for me this next season, the plan is to pair her to my super mystic male for some mystic potions and pastel mystic potions

1 Like

I wish you luck! I’m currently waiting until my male gets to about 2 years old (and once I get a breeding license from my state) before I start- I’m super excited though, since I have a breeder friend that will help me get my goal animals. How long have you been breeding?

1 Like

I got my first ball python in August of 2018… and 2020 was my first breeding season!
I produced 4 clutches of ball pythons and 1 clutch of hognoses this season.

Awesome! And congrats! I have an adult female but the 3 other BPs I have need to grow for at least a year and a half still. Getting a BEL and a Banana Pied/het pied next season from my breeder friend, so I can’t wait to be using them in projects later on

1 Like

Thank you!
I’m excited to see what you produce in the future!

Mostly planning on Pied, Pinstripe, Lesser, Mojave, banana, and albino combos!

1 Like

I like them all :slight_smile:

2 Likes

ME TOO! Pieds are so awesome in any form!

1 Like

@artisticserpents what state do you live in that requires a breeding license?

2 Likes

NY! I don’t believe it’s a breeding license, I think it’s just a selling license for over 25 animals per year? I have to double check honestly lmao

2 Likes

Gotcha, thank you for letting me know. I’m always trying to stay on the legit up and up. Navigating evolving laws is a challenge these days. I’m also relocating to Florida in a month or six weeks. The new Wild West…

2 Likes

Pffft I can understand! We just moved from there, and there’s so many laws coming into play and such, it’s ridiculous. I wish you luck though!

1 Like