Pied sided gene

Since the pied sided gene is directly linked to the diffused gene and most people believe pied sided to be recessive can a het diffused also be het for pied or would they have to be a visual diffused to be het?

3 Likes

It’s not as simple as being het, I suggest checking out the Morphpedia article to get a better understanding. I know that @solarserpents could probably give a better explanation than myself.

4 Likes

Good question. I don’t think I would ever label a corn as “het pied”, since the exact mode of inheritance isn’t known, but if one parent was visually pied sided and the other was not, I would probably just mention something like “Produced from a pied sided parent” or “from pied lineage”, etc. I have barely any personal experience with pied myself, so someone who has worked extensively with them could probably give you a better answer!

3 Likes

thanks for the help. I’ve currently got a fire pied and a bloodred pied that are both female but would like to produce more in the future. My plan was to breed my fire pied het anery to my snow and then breed those to the bloodred pied and hopefully produce some more pieds would this method work?

3 Likes

I think it could work. Might be easier just to pick up a pied male to breed to both of them though!

4 Likes

that would be a better idea lol but im a little short on space for more animals at the moment so it wouldn’t really be a good choice to get another

3 Likes

If you do go with this plan, I recommend keeping and growing at least two potential future breeders. Not to be a downer, but not all babies make it to breeding age, and not all of those who do should be bred.

Also, if space is an issue (and it is for most of us, lol) you may still want to think about keeping an eye open for a male who really catches your eye. You may find just the right one, and just the right one can be worth making space for.

4 Likes

Ok then thanks for the help!

2 Likes