Pixie frogs need water?

Do adult pixie frogs require water?
I know they poop in water.
I know they poop on land.
I know they drink water.
I mist my adult pixie and he drinks the runoff.
Every time i put a water bowl in his enclosure he craps in it. That cant be good for him to drink. Is this a high maintenance creature that requires daily water changes? I just want the best for this dude i have here

4 Likes

They actually prefer to spend time in water more than land so a big water feature with a filter is probably best. If you can’t have a water feature a very large water bowl should be okay. That will help make sure it doesn’t because to bad to bad to soak or drink. I would also consider them the opposite of high maintenance but I don’t own one so I don’t know

5 Likes

I have a Dumpy’s tree frog (named Mr. Dumpy of course) and I consider him high maintenance kinda sorta! Even though he is not a Pixie frog, he’s still a frog so imho clean water is a must for them. Mr. Dumpy uses his water bowl nightly so every day I clean it out and refill it because I don’t have a fresh water fountain/shower/system in his enclosure. In addition I spray him and his enclosure. He seems to enjoy it.

So yes I would consider these guys (without a water system in house) high maintenance. :sunglasses::+1::frog:

3 Likes

With animals who foul in one spot, it’s best to work out what time of day they tend to do that, (critters who poo in one spot often do it on a schedule like a certain time post feeding or right in the morning or night) then make right after that time the time when you take the dish out to disinfect and refill it. That’d give you 24 hours of cleanish water before he dumps in it again.

3 Likes

Im gonna take everyones advice. Thank you! Looks like me n my toad are gonna get to know each other real well :sweat_smile:

4 Likes

Well hurry up and get hoppin! :frog:

3 Likes

I get it :upside_down_face:

3 Likes

20230317_204757
20230317_204951

Thanks for the help Mr. Charlie Puff is happy now :grinning:

5 Likes

Oh my goodness he is WAY TOO CUTE! Thank you for the picture!!! :blush::+1::sunglasses:

2 Likes

Oh HE THICC. What a good chonk. Excellent boy. Fat Lad. He looks plump and happy!

4 Likes

You were absolutely right. He has spent over a week in a half in the water mostly. He does come out but immediately returns to the water.

2 Likes