Please confirm if my "Hoggie" is indeed female

Hi All

I have been keeping snakes for years, and decided I need to expand my collection a bit.
So finally I got a Western Hognose, and it is one of the most amazing snakes I have ever encountered, I can not believe I waited this long.

I purchased from a breeder, and he confirmed it is a female, but I just want to make 100% sure.

I struggled to take pics, as this little one, does not like photo shoots😜 my apologies if the pics aren’t of the best quality, I really strive to take good pics, but this “hoggie” was camera shy😋

Can anyone confirm if it is indeed a female.

Any advice and help will be greatly appreciated. I have done research, but I am no expert at all, and I know we have some experts on this forum.

On a side note, according to my family, apparently I am addicted…will check if there are any rehab facilities for Snake Addiction :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye::joy:

5 Likes

By the shortness of the tail it looks very female because it’s very thick and short, but @elementalherps and @trnreptiles would probably be better guesses than me. :grin::+1:

3 Likes

Thank you so much, like I said, brand new to keeping Hognoses, so wanna make sure I start right.
If all goes well, getting another one next week🤞

4 Likes

Yeah, definitely looks female!

Males have long and gradually tapering tails, females usually have short and more abruptly tapering tails.

3 Likes

Thanks👌

Soooo happy…:partying_face::partying_face::partying_face:

Can’t wait to get into the Hoggies fully, although they are quite scarce here in South Africa, took me more than two months to locate this one.

4 Likes

That’s definitely a female!

3 Likes

Thanks so much. :ok_hand::ok_hand::ok_hand:
Can’t wait to expand my collection😁

2 Likes

I’m the worst for visually sexing hogs :grimacing: I spent the better part of 8 months believing my pink boy was female :joy: That being said, I am getting better, I think

1 Like

I’m the worst at popping balls. I don’t even sex my offspring have someone else do it. But I can visually sex hognose and housesnakes all day long lol.

1 Like

Absolutely no comments from me at all…probably the worst out there😂

That is me too…I have a friend who did the sexing of my hatchlings…he made it serm soooo easy…yeah until I try it🤔

1 Like