Please Help Identify My Newly Acquired Baby Girl

4 Likes

She looks like an Anery. Nice looking snake!!!

2 Likes

Thanks a lot!!! She really is beautiful and a real sweetheart to be so young. So a Anery is what you think she is or you pretty sure? I never had a morph before. She was a gift but I’m curious to know how much a snake like this go for

Ya that would be my best guess. Anery is the lack of red pigmentation and is a recessive gene. And judging from the pic I see no red on her whatsoever.

2 Likes

100% an Anery

2 Likes

Thanks Bud I appreciate the info. If I pair her with a Normal Red tail that I have what kind of babies will I get?

Thanks rickmoss1977. Any tips on growing her up fast will be helpful. And can someone point me in the best direction of finding a subadult California,Florida,or Brooks kingsnake. I really want one of those for my collection without paying a fortune for her.

If you pair her to a normal all of the babies will be normal but they will be het for Anery. Anery is recessive so in order to reproduce a visual each parent has to give 1 copy of the gene to the offspring.

Meaning that my normal would have to be het for anery as well to get anery babies? Do you have a link I can go to and read or watch and listen about what exactly anery mean? I’m new to this morph league and don’t know much of nothing about it. I know how the snake itself need to be cared for but not the blood line or genes part of its life. Sorry if I’m bothering you or getting on your nerves. Just trying to learn and get better to be a better herper

Exactly. Both parents have to carry the gene to pass it on to the offspring.

www.theurbanboa.com explains alot about genetics if you wanted to check that out.

1 Like

Greg is 100% right. And as far as growing her up fast…I would forget that idea as quickly as possible(with all due respect). When you power feed an animal to get them big as fast as possible, you end up causing way more harm than you know…at least more than you know until you animal seems to just die out of nowhere. Feed it once a week a prey item the size of the thickest part of the body…until it is a couple years old…then slow down a bit to once every ten days. I feed once a week for four or five weeks and then skip a week and let them clean out. Sometimes I will skip two weeks…I let the animal show me what it needs. Boa’s should be built like a loaf of bread almost. Flat belly, taller sides, and a somewhat rounded back. If your boas are round like a Burmese or Ball python…it is WAY too fat. If you over feed most snakes, they will almost always die way too young. Their internal organs can not grow properly and do not have time to mature at a proper rate, therefore they will not function properly. You will end up with a fat snake, with a tiny head…and I PROMISE you…fat snakes, ESPECIALLY males…make really bad breeders. They just do not breed well. Just take your time and enjoy the animal as it grows properly.
Also, bigger meals are harder to digest, and sometimes do not fully digest before being expelled if they are fed another meal. They only have so much room in their digestive tract and stomach, so they may poop out food before fully digested if they are constantly being stuffed with food. And just because snakes CAN eat really large meals…does not mean they SHOULD. They are designed this way so in the wild they can go longer between meals. In captivity they are fed way more often than than they usually eat in the wild. I have been keeping boids since 1986…and everything I have seen and experienced tells me that feeding smaller meals once a week is a better way to feed boas…and not large meals either more frequently or large meals less frequently. The animals just do better, and nobody will ever convince me otherwise…over 30 years of keeping these animals has proven that to me. I have made ALL of the mistakes you can make in this hobby…and over feeding and trying to grow snakes too fast has taught me lessons that you are better off NOT learning first hand. Just feed smaller meals, and enjoy your animals…and when it comes time to breed, it will be way more rewarding. You will get bigger litters, with bigger and healthier babies…and a mom that recovers way better, and way faster from producing that litter. It is easy to get in a hurry and want to breed right away…but I can tell you from making those same mistakes myself…take your time and let your female get to four years old(at least), and enjoy your boas, as they grow at the proper rate…and you will be rewarded with healthier babies and longer lived adults. As a keeper of these incredible animals, we owe it to them to make sure they are kept to the best of our abilities, and raise them how it is better for them…not so much better for us. I know there are ‘big breeders’ that breed early, and grow them fast…but people who do this…simply see their animals as a commodity, and a way to make money, and do NOT put the health of their animals as their first priority. For me…I do this because of the passion I have for these animals, and their health and happiness is WAY more important to me than any money I can make breeding them.

7 Likes