Polycarbonate tubs

I’m primarily a pet owner, though I do breed occasionally. So visibility of my pets is a priority. I’m also disabled, and I’ve found that it is far easier for me to clean tub-style housing (racks) than my stacking cage system.

I’ve been looking for some sort of crystal-clear tub, and I’ve come across polycarbonate tubs. I believe the ones I’ve seen in racks are generally sourced from food storage products, such as Rubbermaid’s FG3308 .

So, does anyone have any experience with these tubs? I have only a rudimentary knowledge of outgasing, so I don’t know if this is something to worry about in this situation. I have seen that one very reputable maker of racks does sell models with polycarbonate tubs (RhinoRaxx’s polycarbonate palaces).

Does anyone know of any rack company that offers ‘sideways’ style racks with polycarbonate tubs? I’d imagine it would have to be custom made? I need something that will fit on a tabletop. Or if these polycarbonate tubs aren’t safe, does anyone have any alternatives when it comes to finding a :gem: crystal-clear :gem: tub?

Edit: I do not have any pet birds. (They are very sensitive to outgasing.)

1 Like

I just had an in-depth consultation with my ABVP Reptile/Amphibian boarded vet, and I asked him about the safety of polycarbonate tubs. He said that he hasn’t heard any horror stories, though he wasn’t able to outright endorse them as safe. Just thought I’d share. :relaxed: I’m reassured that someone with so much experience isn’t aware of any problems with their use (as of yet).

2 Likes

I believe the ARS 5000 series has options for clear tubs. You don’t need to order the whole system. You can order as many levels as you’d like.

2 Likes

We’ve been using polycarbonate tubs for our hatchling racks for a few years now. I really appreciate how clear they are… and all the curious :eyes: I can see peering at me when I’m in the reptile room. It is still a plastic and may contain BPA’s, but you can always find BPA free, especially if you’re looking at food service ones.

3 Likes

So your just going to show us those super clear tubs and not drop a link :expressionless::stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

But seriously, that rack looks amazing :muscle:.

1 Like

I’ve used a RhinoRaxx with polycarbonate tubs from Jeff Ronne for at least 12 years with no issues at all. Kept a wide variety of hatchlings - leonis, pyros, Cal kings, dwarf boas, hognose, corns and rats, spotted and ball pythons. Never seen any evidence of outgassing or any harm. I still have some adult snakes that started off as hatchlings in that rack in 2009.

The only issue I have with polycarbonate is that it cracks easier than other tubs. Be careful when cleaning not to hold by a knob or corner. I’ve cracked several that way.

3 Likes

What can I say? I’m rude :joy:

And thanks, we really like these racks! We have them custom made by Cornel’s World in Alberta (Canada), with tubs sourced from Interdesign. Not cheap, but the fact that they’re super durable is worth it

2 Likes

This is a hugely awesome tip! Thanks so much for the intel! I have a stacking cage system from Boaphile myself (Boaphile Plastics makes RhinoRaxx, in case anyone didn’t know), and I really like them too.

I’m feeling much more confident about picking up some polycarbonate tubs. My geckos are insanely curious, and will come to the front and people-watch, many even when they’re not hungry. I would definitely grab some of those polycarbonate palaces from RhinoRaxx, but they won’t fit on the table I have (too long). So I’ll keep poking around until I find something that suits the dimensions I’ve got or go custom like @elementalherps .

2 Likes