Possible Spinal Issue?

My carpet python has a strange dip in her lower spine, about 1/2”-3/4” before her vent. I’m not sure if it is a genetic anomaly, a perch that is not properly sized, or something as simple as she needs a bowel moment. It’s very minor and anybody looking at her at a quick glance probably wouldn’t even notice.

I noticed it a month or so ago and it doesn’t seem to be changing, she has defected a few times since I’ve noticed it so I’m pretty sure it isn’t related to that.

She’s also been extremely tail sensitive her whole life, she will wildly strike at anything that touches the lower 1/4 of her body abruptly. She’s even stuck at the décor in her enclosure because her tail dropped from a vine onto it. I’m hoping she isn’t in pain. I’m aware I’m one of those people who stresses and worries about any little imperfection in my animals so I’m hoping I’m overreacting and it’s nothing at all.

1 Like

I’d say if she seems uncomfortable and you’re really worried about it, a trip to the vet for an x-ray if you can would be a good idea.

I am going to make an appointment on Monday, but sadly my local vet always has a super long wait. Is there anything I should change in my husbandry in the meantime while I wait for the vet appointment?

1 Like

I’ll let someone who is more well versed in carpet pythons advise you on if there is anything you can change, but I don’t think there’s much to be done husbandry wise if it is spine related. If she’s getting around normally, behaving normally aside the sensitivity she’s always had, and showing no other symptoms, I wouldn’t worry too much.

I agree that taking her to the vet is the best bet, saying she may be in pain.

If your really worried about her decor causing her pain then you could go minimalistic and just do substrate and hides but I think she should be fine

1 Like

Does it affect locomotion? Does the snake react badly when you touch that spot?

2 Likes

I would also contact the breeder about it if you know

1 Like

I would like to add an option. I have a boa with a spinal kink (genetic, not injury) that grew to be more noticeable with time. He has never had any type of touchiness that you are mentioning with yours. I think that this is more of injury that he acquired then a genetic defect he was born with. Baby snakes can brake bones and get kinks as a result, I would suggest getting a X-ray of the spine and lower back to see if your vet can see any evidence of breakage.

2 Likes