Post Ovulation Shed Question

First time breeder here…I have a pair of boas that have been introduced and courting since late December. I am just wondering what everyone else’s experience is on behaviors of both male and female during the POS cycle. I noticed my female with opaque eyes a few days ago and both her and the male were on the hot side. Two days later (today), the male has moved to the cool side, coiled up while the female remains on the hot side. Do females usually migrate and stay on the hot side during the POS cycle or do they typically do that after the shed?

Thanks in advance for everyone’s time!
-Charlie

2 Likes

Pretty sure I just don’t my males in long enough during the entire cycle and firstly, I’d say, don’t do a thing yet. I do mist 2xs a day during these periods, morning and night. Movement(females) is a good development towards an ovulation, I see a lot of movement throughout the pregnancy but never see em move- they literally transport and stay! But could indicate ova movement too.
This shed could be huge if you haven’t seen the swell… bigger the better but some groups are more subtle. See if the shed lasts a little longer than usual, as much as 2 weeks. I leave the shed in for a week or so after and when I’m misting, I will give the shed a gentile resoak to re-release pheromones on the shed to entice copulation.
That said, its ok to give yer boy a break if he’ll eat right now. Not too long though and smaller(meal) than usual. As I’ve found, excited males just toss it into the water bowl and waste encounter opportunities. But also not at the cost of his health. Believe me, I often feel like the process is initially harder on male boas in some cases than it ends up for the girls. Female boas bounce back voraciously from pregnancy.
Good Luck!

1 Like