Potential Severe Scale Rot

Hi all.

This is a 2 year old Moonglow BI that came into my care yesterday. She has, what I think, is dreadful scale rot, and I will be booking a vet visit as soon as they’re back open (UK bank holiday). Her ventral scales are absolutely fine - they look perfect, in fact.

I’ve ordered some Tamodine that should arrive tomorrow, but what else can I be doing to help her? Does anyone have any differing opinions on what it could be? I’ve never seen anything like it, and I’m both heartbroken and furious that her previous owner let her get into this mess.

6 Likes

Scale rot usually occurs on the belly.
If it was larger spots I would think burn or injury from cage decor.

When the back and sides are impacted like this my biggest concern is always septicemia. It’s little spots of infection all over because the snake is fighting an internal infection not an external source.

I’m very glad she’ll be seeing a vet. They’ll be able to prescribe some antibiotic injections. That will be the biggest step in recovery.
It won’t hurt to give her a soak in iodine, but I would let her sit in the water a few minutes first and get her a little comfortable to see if she’ll drink. Then add the iodine to it. Hydration will be very important right now.

Also, make sure your temps are on point. You don’t want her getting too cold or overheating her.
A good quarantine setup for now with paper bedding is fine. Keep her clean.

Thank you for taking her in and wanting to do what’s right!

7 Likes

That’s what was making me second guess the scale rot - her belly scales are absolutely perfect. Sepsis/septicaemia was something niggling at the back of my mind, so I’m half glad you mentioned it actually. Eek. A vet trip was always a yes, but I’ll stress the urgency over the phone.

Thank you for the advice, it’s extremely helpful. I’ve honestly been in tears over this poor little thing for most of the day. She’s already missing an eye (congenital defect), she doesn’t need any more issues.

5 Likes

Awww, poor girl!
I do hope they can see her quickly and start her on the right track.

Also as a heads up. The hydration will be important for her with the meds. What might happen is because of the infection or meds she may refuse to eat. I know how hard it is to see them like this, but try not to stress too much about that while she’s healing.

If the vet is concerned about her weight being too low at any point and she’s still refusing, ask if they can tube feed her. I wouldn’t try assist feeding any animal of her age.

5 Likes

Poor snake. She’s very fortunate to be rescued and get the care she clearly needs. Thank you for doing this for her. :heart:

The spots don’t look like scale rot to me, either. It would be a very odd presentation since her belly is scales are healthy. It’s possible that she somehow scraped herself some while ago and that injury developed infection, but that’s kind of a stretch. Septicemia does sound possible. It’s very good that she’s getting a vet visit.

A 10-20 minute soak in iodine/betadine/hibiclens water at about 80-85°F would be good. Do let her just hang out in the water for 5 min or so before adding the disinfectant, as @armiyana said. Hopefully she’ll settle and drink, then add the cleanser. If you notice her trying to drink once that’s in the water, take her out immediately. It’s great for her outside, bad for her inside.

Oh - about the congenital defect, missing eye. So far as we know, this doesn’t bother them. They don’t miss what they don’t know they should have. They compensate with position and head turns for vision. They don’t seem to feel discomfort from it. It bothers us more than it appears to bother them.

Thank you again for rescuing an animal with needs. :clap:

7 Likes

I’ve never seen scale rot in person, but that doesn’t look like any picture of scale rot that I’ve ever seen. And as others have said, the fact that her belly is unaffected also points away from scale rot.

You’ve gotten some good advice from folks far more knowledgeable than I. I hope the vet can see her soon, and that they’re able to get her on the path to recovery. Poor thing. I’m glad she’s now in the care of someone who will give her the care she deserves. I hope she responds well to treatment and gets to enjoy a long, healthy life with you.

6 Likes

Good news! Vet doesn’t think it’s sepsis, or a systemic infection. Her theory - injury sustained by squeezing through something too small, which was neglected and became infected.

We have injectable antibiotics, iodine baths, and some F10 ointment. Follow up in a fortnight.

The relief is immeasurable!

5 Likes

Awesome! I hope they do well with the antibiotics and turn around quickly for you.

3 Likes