Prairie Skinks

So I need to know if you can own a prairie Skinks in MN, I have recently found one and I love them now. Also I would like to know where to acquire one.

6 Likes

Such a cute diminutive little guy! I don’t know what the laws are in MN regarding the keeping of prairie skinks in that state but you can easily look that up. (Especially for wild caught/field collected)

If you can keep them legally I suggest checking the seller side of MM. Imo, that is the most likely place you will find them for sale.

Hope this helps and good luck with your findings! :lizard::blush:

4 Likes

When I was looking at the laws regarding the legality of native reptiles in MN I found this. I am assuming it means you can have the native species, as captive bred and you can sell them if you have a permit.

3 Likes

So you could get some wild ones, and captive breed them, if you get the Permit?

3 Likes

I’d assume you aren’t allowed to collect a wild specimen and then breed. My assumption would be that wild caught specimens just aren’t allowed, period.

3 Likes

GOod point. I suppose they mean you can breed CBB ones, instead of the assumption that being allowed to breed means being allowed to have wildcaught breeding pairs.

No Wild Caught probably means not even those, so you’d have to get CBB ones from somewhere, presumably a state that allows wildcaughts to be used with permits to produce a CBB source.

3 Likes

To me it looks like you have to get a captive bred one, and it you wanted to breed (CB) ones you need a permit. It doesn’t look like any WC specimens are legal to keep.

4 Likes