Probably really stupid question

Do you count 29 days to lay when the pre lay shed cycle starts or actual shed date?

6 Likes

Actual shed date. But it’s not always exactly 29 days, like anything animal related it’s variable to the specific animal and conditions. I’ve had them lay anywhere from 24-35 days from shed.

3 Likes

Ok, I can breathe then. I didn’t write down the actual shed date, but do have when she went blue, which is what I counted 29 days from. So she still has a few more days.

2 Likes

I will 2nd that advise, you will find these are live animals and they will do as they very well please. Don’t panic over counting days, you can definitely breathe. There is a wide range of days they could lay and there’s always an exception to the rule. No reason to get yourself worked up, your animals will do things their way.

7 Likes

Thanks. I worry about every one if my noodles. 500,000 things can go wrong.

2 Likes

It’s like knowing Xmas is coming & presents under the tree but not knowing what day it will be.

3 Likes

And most of them completely out of your control. Just provide them the best husbandry you can and the rest is on her. Absolutely nothing wrong with being concerned and asking about it tho.

6 Likes