Problem feeder issues

I have a bit of an issue with one of my snakes I was wondering if you guys could give me a little advice. All my snakes are in a rack system together I have no feeding issues with any of them but one he’s a juvenile male hasn’t eaten in probably almost two months now acts like he’s hungry but won’t strike or take anything and won’t drop feed temperatures are the same in every tub humidity is the same. He seems interested but won’t strike or drop feed weight has dropped but he doesn’t look super thin but I’m starting to get concerned. Has eaten ft rats since he was 95g and never had these issues before.

1 Like

Maybe you can try some African soft furred rats, its their native food usually never turned down but try them live. Also a ball python VOLUNTARILY going off feed for two months isn’t long many have went 6 months or more with no ill effects as long as they had a good amount of weight on them.

1 Like

Do you have more info

Size of the snake?

Size of the tub?

Prey size and frequency?

Substrate?

Tempertures?

Hides?

More often than not a change in husbandry rather than a change in prey will do the trick, simply because sometimes even when everything is the same it just does not work anymore.

1 Like

Ambient snake room temp is 75. Hotspot is 89 with a heat gun thermostat says 92 only because it won’t allow me to hit temps I need inside if it’s lower. Tub size I forget. Labels gone off tub.ill get a picture. Humidity is 60 to 64 percent depending on the time of day.
Snake is a Mojave spotnose male currently sitting at like 600g was 743 prior to the food strike.
Prey has been 60g small ft rats since he hit 500g.

Hide In tub on coconut

Small rats once a week

Jones. I want to avoid live as I don’t have space to keep live rats and my entire collection has been on ft since I got each one of them lol Asf are almost impossible to find locally also sadly.

1 Like

First thing I would do is downsize to a 12 quarts tub, it’s not uncommon for males reaching sexual maturity and size to go off feed at that weight, one thing I have done for several years now that has proven to be a success is to keep my males in much smaller tubs especially during breeding season or when they hit the 650 grams range.

I would also space the food to every 10 to 14 days, males require less food.

At that size it’s not something I would worry about but something I would definitely try to change if possible.

Again he is a mature male and the presence of females nearby or his drive to breed can play a big part in his behaviour as well.

4 Likes

Only problem I’m having with feeders is finding some

Where are you located