Progress of Calypso and Deimos

I am making this thread so I can periodically post updates on my juvenile black ratsnakes. I just took some photos of them outside over the past couple days, as well as weighed them again. They are adorable and I think they deserve some love.

Here is Calypso. She wasn’t easy to get pictures of because she really wanted to explore. When I got her she was 18 grams, and now weighs 22 grams. She is growing like a weed and never refuses food.

Here is Deimos. He definitely isn’t growing as fast as Calypso, but that is also because he can’t eat as much food in one sitting. He has gained a gram, so he is now 14 grams. He rattles his tail whenever I feed him and it is adorable. It is like he is angry at the food, he always eats it though.

11 Likes

I really want to get a white sided black rat! How do you find their temperament? Beautiful snakes!

5 Likes

Their temperaments are amazing. Calypso is calm and is as friendly as a corn snake, Deimos is a bit skittish but he is also a good bit smaller than Calypso, so he will likely grow out of that phase. When shopping for one, make sure to ask the breeder about temperament. I can tell you the breeder I got them from in DMs if you want.

5 Likes

They’re both beautiful!

4 Likes

You bet! Send me a pm!

4 Likes

Makes me want to go shopping! My wife is cursing! Ha, ha!

4 Likes

They are so cute! I always find it interesting to learn individual personalities. Are they siblings?

3 Likes

I believe they might be half siblings, or full siblings. I didn’t really want to ask since this was a free upgrade and I didn’t wanna sound rude lol. I could probably ask the breeder now that it is after the fact.

Edit: Just heard back from the breeder, they aren’t related and he hopes I breed them in the future.

3 Likes

That’s an extra extra nice bonus! I’ll enjoy watching their progress. Hopefully one day they’ll make some pretty babies together. :smiley:

2 Likes

That’s wild! My son named one of his Ball Pythons Deimos!

2 Likes

I will be posting more pictures of them in a couple of days, they both just ate and Calypso is in shed. She doesn’t refuse food even when in shed which is great. Their last weigh in has Calypso at 25 grams empty and Deimos at 17 grams empty. They grow so fast. Calypso might be able to handle large pinkies now. This will be her second shed with me, Deimos should be shedding again soon since he has already shed once as well.

1 Like

I tried my hand at photographing the two of them together. I took 15 or so photos and only got 3 good ones where they actually held still for a moment.

Here are some pictures I got of Calypso in “grass”. It isn’t really grass but it overruns the yard more than grass. It is prettier for snake photos too. A solo shot of both of the babies too. Deimos moved for all of his so he looks like he is becoming a part of the ground.

2 Likes