Prolapsed hemipene

I must have the worst luck in the history of ever. I just returned home from my vacation and my chimera male has a prolapsed hemipene. Fortunately it still looks alive and not infected, but still not what i like to see. I soaked him for a while in warm water, lightly cleaned off dirt and debris, then added some betadine. I have gently massaged it mostly back in but dont want to apply any force, i will have to hope the swelling goes down some overnight, but heres the damage after treatment. Hope its an easy fix with patience and persistenced :confused:

If it doesnt show improvement, ill have to bring him to the ER on sunday as i have an upcoming trip, and i dont want it still external before i leave.

6 Likes

I’ve heard of using a sugar water compress to help reduce the swelling. Good luck with him.

10 Likes

Much like what @randall_turner_jr said, you can also apply a 50/50 paste of Preparation H ointment & sugar to help shrink it back into place (this is also used for cloacal prolapses) which might be a little easier than a compress.

9 Likes

I used sugar and Preparation H on Sceptre’s reproductive prolapse this season. It works quite effectively.

If you can see any degree of space at his vent or if you can produce a little bit of space by gently lifting his tail, go ahead and apply a bit of sugar/PrepH to your boy’s vent area with a clean glove or a sterile swab. It may help prevent a recurrence.

Wishing you luck completely opposite to what you been getting this season.

6 Likes

Ive read the same, going to try that after work today if it has not pulled back in.

3 Likes

Appreciate it, i could sure use the luck xD hopefully the boy at least got the job done, because he is out for the season, dont want to stress him any more until he has full tome to recover.

4 Likes

Will give it a shot! Will need to stop at walgreens on the way home

3 Likes

Just an idea, what substrate? any chance of any being retracted with the hemipene after mating and causing inflammation or stoping full retraction?
Possibility a foreign body from substrate causing the problem.

5 Likes

Yes, males can pull substrate back in, had this happen with a corn last year, it did cause a minor infection that resolved with removal of the foreign body and a soak, didn’t seem to leave lasting damage as he impregnated two females this year. I suggest paper towel or newsprint while healing. If he has substrate stuck, I’d maybe try a soak and a gentle swab with a clean cotton swab dampened or lubricated, if possible. Might need a vet if it’s deep in there, but I’d give soaking and gentle cleaning a shot first.

3 Likes

Ecoearth with some cypress mulch and sphag moss, buy i dont see any left after i cleaned it up. The swelling is going down and looks to be starting to retract, so maybe? But should be clear now

4 Likes

He is on reptizorb since i found him with the prolapse, and i have thoroughly cleaned the area, so its good as far as i can see

4 Likes

Good, good. My brain is not handling threads today, apparently I’m not paying enough attention to who I am replying to. :upside_down_face: I blame the heat.

Any progress with reducing it further? No signs of discomfort from him, hopefully. Can’t imagine that felt very good.

2 Likes

I got it fully covered by the vent yesterday, so hopefully a couple more days of soaking and disinfecting and should be good to go. But he will still be sitting out this season so he has time to fully heal internally

5 Likes

Keep in mind with a prolapse, they can happen again. We had a pac man and my gosh.

Also if sugar water doesn’t work within a day take him in.

A friend just took a Crestie in with a prolapse and one of his hemipenes was removed…

5 Likes

It didnt take 1 day, but it is in now, no sogn of infection that i could see, if he shows any signs of distress or if it gets bad again, i will definitely take him in. For now, im just sitting him out for the season to give him plenty of time to heal to lower the chance of a reoccurrance.

7 Likes

Poor guy. He should recover in a straightforward way now. Was he with a female when this occurred?

4 Likes

Yes, he had been mating with a female over the course of a couple weeks. Hoping he succeeded, make the discomfort worth it at least

4 Likes

I hope he did, too. I was wondering if perhaps there had been some difficulty with a less than fully receptive female. I hope he recovered fully and I hope you get fertile eggs!

3 Likes

This was my thought, I actually witnessed it happen with one of my corn boys this year. Female had enough of him while they were still locked and pulled away, leaving him with a hemipene just dragging along. In that case I was home and nearby, so I was able to get it reduced back immediately. He did get the job done, though! I hope very much that @verinium’s male was equally successful. I’m sure things like this are the reasons males have two hemipenes. In case one is damaged or out of action, there’s a spare, reproductive insurance. :sweat_smile:

5 Likes

She received him many times this season, shes just been being a jerk to me and holding onto the sperm haha. They had many successful locks with no issues. But maybe shes finally becoming gravid and started to turn him away and this is the result. Fingers crossed if thats the case!

4 Likes