PVC 6qt Rack Build

Had to make a little more room for the babies, so I took some pictures along the way. Not sure how much detail people might be interested in here, so if you have any questions feel free to ask. I build this rack with dado cuts for strength and to make alignment of everything easy. First thing I did was make a table saw sled that let me easily do the 4 repeatable dado cuts to save time. I can post pics of that if anyone is interested. After that, I cut 4x 4x8 sheets of PVC down.
!

Cut the dados in the sides

Cut the dados in the shelves for dividers

Starting assembly

I threw some pvc glue on the first few top and bottom dividers and clamped them together, basically making it a torsion box and hopefully hold everything square and all that.

Fully assembled, added a back panel, which could have heat tape taped to it, added support for casters, added casters. added tubs.

20 Likes

@owalreptiles nice rack!

3 Likes

What was the cost of materials? Where did you get the PVC?

2 Likes

4 sheets of pvc was just under 300 from Home Depot, casters were 20 bucks from harbor freight, tubs were 70 bucks from Target. So just under 400 total.

8 Likes

what are you heating with are you using back heat , belly heat or just ambient room temperatures?

ambient room only, but you could easily tape on heat tape to make it back heated.

2 Likes

called the closest home depot to me. They don’t carry the pvc 4 x 8 sheets anymore and can’t order it. so I am going to do the home depot plastic storage shelf build instead. There is a video on youtube on how to do it. and I may post pics and a how to on this site. You have an awsome hatchling rack though.

2 Likes

I know it’s a bit of an older thread but I’m planning to make one similar with only a few dozen tubs. About how heavy was this once completed? I have no experience with PVC panels so do you think this could be done (without dido cuts) with a jigsaw? Also could this be easily assembled and disassembled (it would have to go up stairs)?

Heavy enough where I can’t lift it myself, two person job if you need to actually pick it up.

No and No. I mean you can cut panels and screw them in the same fashion but it pretty much a different design and assembly process without the dados. Its glued together, so there’s no disassembling. I think you need to find a different design if thats what you are looking for.

1 Like

I’m working on building one of these for myself. It might suit you a little bit better.

The dimensions can be modified to support 6qt tubs. I don’t have the necessary tools for the dado cuts so I ended up going to local plastic fabrication place to get them cut to size.

2 Likes

That looks like that could actually work for me. Thank you so much!

I would love a huge amount of detail on this, as I plan to breed in the future.

1 Like

Just out of curiosity, what did the plastic fab place charge to cut them to size?
this is something i’ve considered, just haven’t looked into much.

1 Like

I can’t recall the exact number but I think it was around 200. Give or take.

1 Like

Thanks this helps me.
I need to switch to PVC, Mine are home made conti board (melamine chipboard) I can hardly lift them.