PVC Back Heat Issues need advice

So I bought a rack from my brother he no longer needed. The top 3 tubs actually stay pretty warm between 85 and 90. But the bottom two tubs are barely getting to 80 at most and thats with a good heater running. Basement temps are around 70 sometimes 68 this time of year
. My brother says the rack has 12 inch heat tape
I’m using 30.6 quart tubs for my ball pythons.
Should I buy new heat tape and install it ? The rack is about 32 inches tall and 15 inches wide. I also have blankets on the sides and bottom of the rack as a temporary fix but to no avail so far. I have a vivarium VE -100 thermostat as well. Rack is a five level system…All advice is appreciated going to try to post pictures as well if not with post then I will post them in the comments

3 Likes

Since heat rises, getting the lower levels up to temp will be difficult. Back heat racks are best used in heated rooms.

2 Likes

You might get better results relocating the thermostat probe. I would also use the tape over the probe itself, rather than on just the wire, for full contact with the heat pad.

2 Likes

i honestly wanted to try and convert it to belly heat but i dont know how to go about doing that, wouldnt i have to use a router to make little divots for the heat tape and i have no idea how to use a router lol

1 Like

would putting the probe on the bottom help or the top ? and ill tape it on the probe itself right now thank you!

I try to keep my probes as close to the center as possible, but to go a shelf lower might yield favorable results. I recommend an infrared temp gun to get instant values at all areas and see what the real variance is.

A replacement heat tape that is longer may also help. Running it down the back, and further into the base floor of the first level by 6 or 8 inches. Secure it to the floor with a clean strip of the aluminum tape (try to avoid wrinkles) to provide belly heat to at least the coldest spot.

You may have to partially disassemble the rack to do it, but it should help a lot.

2 Likes

that is a great idea , im going to order some more heat tape and give that a go thank you!

1 Like

Router are easy to use. You have to have the right bit for it. Amazon is where I got mine. Got watch some YouTube videos on routing out the the place for the heat tape.
Belly heat is what most people use for BPs.

1 Like

thanks ! i figured belly heat was the best option considering my old ass house lol im going to go watch some videos now and possibly order a router

2 Likes

Another option to help would be to wrap it with insulation and put a door on the front.

Sticking with routing in belly heat, you can always route for heat cable instead of tape. Which will be much easier to do.

2 Likes

Cannot tell by pictures if rack is on floor or table so forgive me if my info is null but, Getting the tubs higher off floor should help some. Room temp is going to be lower at floor level.

2 Likes

i do have a really thick fllece blanket under the rack but thank you !

so could i put belly heat in without having to route a recess in it ? im confused

You can, but it’s a terrible idea. The majority of failures you see with rack heat tape is flush mounted tape that gets rubbed every time you slide the tub in and out.

1 Like

ah i figured that would be an issue, i did find a temporary cold weather fix i slid these cheap heat pads that dont get too hot,slid inside the rack under the bottom tubs and they hit the 89 degree mark finally so i think all is well that way i wont have to worry