Question about wood sealant that's safe for reptiles

Hey folks, I have yet another question.

Would this wood sealant be reptile safe? I’m planning on diy-ing a smaller rack out of melamine and have heard you have to seal especially the open edges. Also just to hopefully have it last a decent time before water can get through.

If this stuff isn’t reptile safe, feel free to point me towards any that are.

2 Likes

I’m interested in what the experts say, great question!!

1 Like

Yes it’s fine. Polyurethane is essentially a plastic when it’s dry. Just use it in a well ventilated area and give it at least 24 hours to cure. I would use the exterior products however, not interior. I’ve used this stuff on caging for all sorts of exotic animals for over a decade.

3 Likes

I’m not the OP, but thank you for this info! I hope to make my own wooden enclosures in the future and proper sealing was going to come up for me at some point

2 Likes

I was a finish carpenter early in my career so I used a lot of stains and sealers on custom projects. I prefer urethane to most other clear coats.

Do as many coats of it as your patience will tolerate. You’ll need to wait a few hours between coats. This will build up thickness and add the perception of depth to your finished product. Over time it will also get micro scratches from cleaning and if you have plenty of coats on you can polish it back to glossy by wet sanding with 600 or 1000 grit sand paper.

If you’re building with wood check out Minwax colored stains too.

3 Likes

Thank you so much! There’s so many different products out there, it all gets so confusing. I’ll be sure to grab it in exterior, and thinking about it that actually makes more sense.
Now just the long wait until decent weather so I can work on this stuff outside

1 Like