Questions about selling reptiles in Texas

So from looking at the Texas government website, it seems I only need a special reptile license to sell native species but I’m assuming I would need some kind of business license since I’d be selling stuff. I’m also not entirely sure where I’d file any profit from selling reptiles in my taxes. Anyone that sells from Texas have any advice?

3 Likes

Your best bet is one of these Texans :wink:

@chesterhf @akmorphs @meerkatlyndz @lsdexotix

3 Likes

Depends on the species of snake you want to sell. Most common species you typically see sold, corns and such, don’t need any special liscense as far as I’m aware. More specialized or restricted species like indigo perhaps trans Pecos rats, even possibly gray banded kings and obviously “hot” snakes could need special permits.

3 Likes

If you go to this website and click on the “white list reptiles” link it has every species in Texas you have to have a permit to sell. And many species I mentioned in my first post is indeed on that list.

As for the liscense itself you’d have to contact Texas Wildlife where you get other permits and lisences for hunting and fishing I think. I personally am not selling snakes that require anything special (and am not breeding numbers big enough yet to require a business liscense or selling at expos).

4 Likes

I have searched this up and down and have never found anything needed to sell ball pythons in Texas.

Q. What snakes are regulated by PWC, Chapter 43, Subchapter V?
A. All non-indigenous (species not native to Texas) venomous snakes and the following constrictors: African rock python ( Python sebae ), Asiatic rock python ( Python molurus ), green anaconda ( Eunectes murinus ), reticulated python ( python reticulates ), and southern African python ( Python natalensis ).

2 Likes

I’m planning on selling non-native geckos in the future, from what I know Texas is very, very lax with exotics (we have. So many tigers…) I was mainly wondering if I’d need a business license or since it’d be more of a small amount of money on the side I wouldn’t need one. That and where any profit from it would be filed on taxes

1 Like