Rack temperatures

Okay, I have a 5 level rack with FB40 tubs from Next level displays. My Tstat is set to 95*. All the tubs are in the range of 88-90 except the 5th tub. The 5th one won’t get higher than 84*. I’m almost positive ball pythons can’t safely/ completely digest food at that temp. So my question is, why is the 4th tub tub only 2* cooler than the 1st tub, but the 5th tub is 4 degrees cooler than the 4th tub? Thoughts? (Measurements taken from the plastic) and how to fix it. I’m using an inkbird Tstat. I have a herpstat 2 but the probe is too big and the tub kept moving the probe and foil tape even with recessed heat tape.

When you say 5th tub do you mean bottom tub? If so you can put insulation underneath the rack to help with heat loss. As far as the probe being too big, you can place it to the edge not underneath the tub and dial your temps in that way.

1 Like

85* isn’t too low but check the connections to that panel/tape/cord, I’ve seen a lot of racks shipped with loose wires before.

I keep my ball python room at 85-86* with a slight night drop. There is no heat tape in the room. I believe @osbornereptiles keeps his ball pythons with ambient heat around 86 as well.

88-90* are the temperatures that breeders figuring out ball pythons landed on to keep the snakes at a metabolic rate that was efficient for what they do with them. There isn’t a huge amount of science that I’m aware of behind those temperatures just a lot of proof in the hobby that they work.

1 Like

My building will naturally fluctuates between 82-87 depending on the season and outside conditions. My yearly average temp is 83.7 per my sensorpush data. I really try not to get over 86 but I don’t see it as a problem if it’s a day or two here and there. Fluctuations are natural, consistent temps are not. I get it, southern Indiana isn’t the wild of Africa but nature is never precise nor stagnant when it comes to environmental conditions.

In my experience, 90 degree temps will destroy fertility in many species including ball pythons, yet it seems to be the automatic response when temps are in question. Many breeders of green tree pythons learned this the hard way with lots of infertile clutches in the 90s and early 2000s. I was one that offered a basking spot of 86 or less and had a lot of success with gtp.

There are a million ways to keep these animals healthy and thriving. Choose the method that works best for you and more importantly you animals.

5 Likes

Well said! I also think 90* is probably ramping their metabolism faster/higher than necessary. Probably not beneficial to longevity.

2 Likes

I will echo what @osbornereptiles and @ballornothing have stated. I have also had way better success keeping ball pythons in the 85-87 degree range.

2 Likes