Radical Rehome

So about 8 weeks ago I took on 2 young green igs from a so-called “Rescue” Apparently these guys were more underweight when they arrived in their care. That would be true of typical annual captive farmed youngsters. Sadly they were still very dehydrated in their care. Care with sunken eyes and lots of tell tale dehydration signs. They pooped out a lot of tomato pips…tomatoes aren’t a decent food choice…They were housed in a HUGE vivarium with no coverage and BLASTED with a misting system. I do wish the people that make out they are rescues, would know their limits!! And these are some of the better animals from there…

After just 48 hours here they were rehydrated, properly fed, lit and supplemented.

They both eat VERY well and are thriving Food face and due to shed, so not looking her best. They are coming on very well indeed. I will get some pics of the other one too

“Absinthe”

17 Likes

Great job! The ‘rescue’ thing is done so poorly so often I cringe when I see them a lot of time. Here in California I see a lot of people posting to Craigslist and Facebook offering to take in reptiles, but their goal is really just free/cheap breeder sized animals. A great example is a new local ‘rescue’ that asked me to put a two hundred dollar animal on a payment plan about a month before they started this ‘rescue’ :man_facepalming:

1 Like

Same here in the UK. We have a listing site called preloved!!!
Genuine rescues don’t need to advertise wanted…
OMG really!! Blimey people will try anything

2 Likes

Haha the best thing is when someone messages you on a reptile you’ve got up on a site!
Someone actually had the audacity a couple years ago to message me saying that they’re a ‘rescue’ and that they’d be happy to ‘take it on’ if I ‘can’t keep it’. Oh and the rest of them too, oh and let’s not forget-free of charge, they wouldn’t charge ‘ME’ for it.

Yeah no. No thank you.
:joy:

2 Likes

Glad you got these animals. It really is a crying shame how many ways humans have come up with to scam other humans, to the detriment of the living creatures about whom they claim to care so much, yet for whom they care so little.

3 Likes

If you don’t know how to be a rescue, you just shouldn’t “rescue” animals! I get people trying to dump their animals on me a lot because they know I have reptiles. I always have to decline though, because I’m just not prepared. This is why we need more good, proper rescues that can take in reptiles from unprepared keepers. I got one crazy example of an unprepared keeper. I once knew someone who’s 7 year old daughter had three chameleons that she got from Petco. They also got all their care info from Petco. It’s just sad, and their need to be more people like you who can rescue these animals the right way.

3 Likes

Totally agree! And I’m sending up prayers of gratitude for all the good-hearted people who do rescues right!

2 Likes

I am in love with that iguana!

2 Likes

she’s really sweet considering a captive farmed annual youngster

2 Likes

Good on you for rescuing two iguanas, I feel personally like iguanas are one of the main animals in rescue for reptiles at least. People get then as babies and don’t realize how big they get. Lovely picture by the way!

3 Likes

It was terrible in the late 80’s early 90’s but sadly as CF are still available cheap annually they still buy them. Any I breed have decent homes lined up or I don’t cook the eggs simple as

1 Like

It has gotten a bit better though. I know my local reptile store occasionally gets iguanas in, and they refuse to sell them to people without proof that they’re going to a good home. Still though, not everyone is like that, and It’s still a problem.

1 Like

yes indeed for all the good shops and rehomes that sell and rehome responsibly sadly there are still lots that do sell them and rehome to anyone…

1 Like

Yeah it is not the most “guaranteed” good home system. I, when rescuing, look for good employment in shelters, and the quality of the actual facility.