Rarest reptile in your collection

This pair of Olive pythons.

9 Likes

I have a red eyed crocodile skink. Not a terribly rare animal but a little difficult to find. Especially captive bred which my boy is. My ultimate goal is hunting down a group of ouroboros cataphractus or a pair of shingleback skinks.

3 Likes

I love crocodile skinks, I might actually end up getting a pair next year. Do you have a picture of yours? Not to get off topic but how much enclosure space do they need, can a pair be housed together, and do you know how much enclosure space a pair would need?

2 Likes

Mine’s a yearling male so he’s not quite mature yet. I have him in a 10 gallon for quarantine while I get a bioactive prepared for him.
Pairs can live together in a 20 gallon from what research i’ve done. I plan to build a 40 gallon bioactive for him and a female to ensure they have enough space.
I’ve heard of pairs doing well but make sure to w atch their behaviors, every animal is an individual and some may not do well with others.

8 Likes

I’ve got 8 puerto rican boas.

9 Likes

that creature is beautiful. i have never seen anything like him/her. wow. best of luck to you both.

is it okay to ask where these are from and are they venomous? sure looks like a real dragon. very beautiful. how old is it? where did you get it? how large will it get or is it full grown now?

There are only two species of venomous lizards in the world. Mexican beaded lizards and Gila monsters. Crocodile skinks are harmless.

1 Like

They come from new guinea and they aren’t venomous, they only live up to 5 years though they haven’t been kept in captivity for very long so their captive bred age hasn’t been verified yet. The red eyes only come at about 6 months of age and they get up to about 8 inches full grown. Unfortunately with these skinks handling should be kept to a minimum so they are more of display animals than pets but on how cool they look they still are amazing creatures.

1 Like

just a leopard gecko :slight_smile:

My rare personal pet, doesn’t necessarily compete with some of the current submissions in this post, but, golly, finding a female to pair him with has been downright awful!

This guy lives up to every article I have read on the locality to date, and is super relaxed and easy to handle, with an appetite that would have you think he was impossible to handle. My ultimate boa, he is named “Boaby” and I have serious determination to contribute to reproducing what has not been imported since the late 80’s!

5 Likes

Sumatran Cave racer (O.t.grabowskyi) Sumatera Barat ssp

10 Likes

:exploding_head: this is stunning :fire:

Welcome to the forum :muscle:

1 Like

While not rare in our household, Cophotis ceylanica are by far our rarest reptile. This male does not like the phone in the slightest.

7 Likes

Madagascar Tree Boa

9 Likes

Probably my 1.2 Gonyosoma jansenii! Hopefully I’ll get cbb babies from this season and have an even rarer animal.

6 Likes

Komodos have also been shown to be venomous :upside_down_face:

3 Likes

Are they venomous in that they produce it themselves or because of the food they digest like dart frogs?

We have shown that the Komodo dragons have an anti-coagulant in their venom as well as other venom components that drop the blood pressure. It all combines to a steady march towards unconsciousness. The dragon can then tear the head off at its leisure.

From here:

3 Likes

I thought they weren’t included since it was the bacteria in their mouth that caused damage and they didnt have conventional venom production. You learn new things everyday I suppose!

3 Likes