Rat Production at an all time low I feel! Anyone else?!

So I have been breeding for bout 4 years now and a good buddy of mine introduced me to the breeding of Ball Pythons. I have around a 100 Balls now and bred my own rats for about 3 years out of the 4. I still continue to breed rats on a much smaller scale because i breed for all my hatchlings and then once they are around 300 grams i switch them to F/T! Yes all my snakes i have switched over to F/T besides 4. Not bad in my opinion. Now I have taken the ones that eat F/T continuously and just tested to see if they will eat live again, and to no surprise they the eat them every time. I guess what i am getting at is people know that i have not bred rats on a semi-large basis in the past 3 years, but yet i always get messages or phone calls to see if they can buy rats. My point is i know rats have been at a shortage but now with a lot of newer breeders jumping in the hobby (Which i think is great, way more opportunity for everyone!) it seems that even F/T rats are at an all time low as well. lol. just wanted to see you alls opinion on if you feel rats are in a bigger demand right now then they were already. LOL That’s my story/question for now. Have a Happy Thanksgiving everyone!!!

2 Likes

I’m interested to hear others with experience weigh in on this as well.

2 Likes

Yeah, my local breeder I get live feeders from has had to start making long trips to pick up feeders elsewhere to feed their snakes and the snakes of customers buying from them.

I myself am not producing any babies either, which is frustrating because $40 a week for feeders is pretty spendy. Hoping some of my holdback females start getting preggo soon!

1 Like

I live near ARS so I just go pick up a bag of F/T rats from them whenever I need em. Never had a situation where they didn’t have what I needed. My local pet store that sells live has plenty of em too.

1 Like

yep that is usually how it goes, i think rat breeding just might be where the money is at. LOL

1 Like

I typically don’t like buying them from the local pet stores because they’re nasty and mean. Way more prone to fighting back than the ones I get from reptile breeders!

1 Like

yeah i breed enough to get the little babies use to eating then im all abut F/T because it is just to much simpler!

I only do live if I’m able to stand there and supervise the entire process.
I have some snakes that can be shy feeders, so with them I’ll usually just kill a rat myself and leave it in their tub for them to find. Usually they pick it up and eat it within a few minutes though!
I’ll also sometimes offer stunned/prekilled to snakes like my boy Peanut, only because he sucks at aiming half the time :joy: