Recessive monsoon

Could someone break down the Monsoon for me please? I see its a recessive gene. But what i cant figure out is this. Is it the recessive gene of 2 ball pythons bred together like het albino or is the Monsoon the base form where you breed two Monsoons together and get its true visual form?

Whqt im trying to figure out is, if i want to bred my own Monsoon. What morpha do I need? Is this an Allelic snake?

2 Likes

It’s a recessive trait, meaning a ball python needs to have two copies of the monsoon allele to be visually “monsoon”. It follows the exact same rules as any other recessive traits. Paring a visual monsoon to a visual monsoon will produce 100% visual monsoons. Pairing a het monsoon to a het monsoon will produce approximately 1/4 visual monsoons, 2/4 het monsoons, at 1/4 wild type.

In order to breed monsoons, you need to pair two ball pythons that at the very least carry monsoon

5 Likes

Ok, i havent been able to find a picture of a het monsoon. Im assuming its similar to a normal.

Looking at the morphmedia, the two snakes bred together that produced the first monsoon were npt known to carry the gene.

1 Like

Some breeders claim that Monsoon is actually an incomplete dominant trait and that it’s visible in the heterozygous form, which is referred to as “Fractal”. Either way, it really doesn’t change how the trait is bred or passed down

5 Likes

I work with fractal (het monsoon). The het expresses in a variety of forms you can see visually. This is a big part of the reason why some “poss het monsoon” animals are nearly as expensive as 100% hets, because breeders know what markers to look for. However, not all breeders do.

So if you want to produce visual monsoons you can either pay a TON for 100% het monsoons, or you can peruse the poss het listings and identify ones you think will prove (which is how I have all of my monsoon project animals).

7 Likes

Also, hopefully some good news in next Tuesday’s RGI podcast regarding progress toward a het monsoon shed test. I’m also working with possible het monsoons (actually possible possible hets). I think I know what to look for but will be nice to be 100% sure I have some hets.

3 Likes

No monsoon update on this week’s RGI podcast. Hopefully next Tuesday.

3 Likes

Fingers crossed for a Monsoon test coming soon. I’ve got a 500g+ male Super Mojave 66% Het Monsoon that desperately needs testing before he sells as only PH Monsoon! LOL

Regards,
Chris

4 Likes

Sure need a test for a white snake! I particularly need a het monsoon test for a couple cinnamon girls but would be nice even to confirm the normals I really think look het monsoon. I think it was the podcast before last Dr. Morrill said something to the effect that his first stab at a monsoon test didn’t pan out but he had some hope of another try without having to start over. Maybe we’ll get a good update Tuesday.

The last podcast update was that test candidates for monsoon so far have failed but they still have a couple more to try in next few weeks before going back to the drawing board for months.

1 Like

Any updates on the Monsoon test?

Regards,
Chris

1 Like

I haven’t picked up on anything last couple podcasts but maybe tomorrow (normally Tuesdays at 5 MT).

2 Likes