Recommend plants

Im setting up a crested gecko vivarium and I’m looking for what plants I know I want a Hawaiian pink quill plant(first pic)

I don’t know what else I know I want at lest 2 vine plants that are gonna be potted in the air I would also like to do bamboo but I don’t think my 18x18x24 is big enough since a bit less than half of the floor space is taken up by a waterfall thanks in advance for your recommendations

4 Likes

Good choice.

Here is a list of plants I’ve used for my Crestie enclosures.

Begonia Sp

Birds Nest Fern (Asplenium Antiquum)

Creeping Fig (Ficus Pumila)

Devil’s-tail plant (Epipremnum aureum)

Dwarf Umbrella Tree (Schefflera Arboricola)

Earth Star (Cryptanthus Sp)

Flamingo Flower (Anthurium Sp)

Garden Croton (Codiaeum Variegatum)

Peace Lily (Spathiphyllium Sp)

Wax Plant (Hoya Carnosa)

Weeping Fig (Ficus Benjamina)

Polka Dot Plant (Hypoestres Sp)

Prayer Plant (Calathea)

Rattlesnake (Calathea)

Mother In Law Tongue (Dracaena Trifasciata)

Dragon Tree (Dracaena Fragrans)

Violet Inch Plant (Tradescantia Zebrina)

Pink Quill (Tillandsia Cyanea)

Snake Plant (Sansevieria)

Violet inch plant are one of my favourites as they only require a small pot/space. I made mini hanging baskets with a couple of mine.

5 Likes

All of the options above are great! Here are some I would add
• zz plant
• hanging philodendrons
• scindapsus varieties
• nerve plants (fittonia)
• syngonium
• lots of dracaena varieties
• bromeliads
• parlor palms

4 Likes

I would like to recommend Pothos! They are great-looking and will ‘climb’ around!

5 Likes

Yes, pothos. Can’t believe I missed that off my list :person_facepalming:

Please note that some plants are dangerous to Reptiles and many plants are dangerous to non reptile pets, plus if not handled correctly can be harmful to humans also.

I have used Parlour Palm and nerve plants, but many didn’t survive the weight of my Cresties, however I do still use them, just be prepared to replace them should your Crestie destroy them.

Also snake plants don’t like much water

3 Likes

Nearly everything is ok, just don’t touch cactus as spikey or carnivorous ones.
Depending on where getting too, you may need to co2 them to make sure no pests. Or if from a garden centre remove all substrate they use to be safe. And give them a clean anyway.

And the one you want is fine too :relaxed:

4 Likes

We have a load of random ones in ours… We didn’t want all vivs to have the same plants so :sweat_smile:
A couple do but a different coloured version of the plant.

I will say ficus tree! Obviously would need to keep cutting and eventually (years) down the line you may need to take out as base would get large but we’ve had one for years and just cut back!
We have in one of our 60x45x60 for the ladies.
But I’ve just brought a big one to go into the 90 tall! :grin:

3 Likes