Red Factor babies; yes, no, maybe

Yes amen to that! Angel Auria will always live on with each generation! :pray::heart:. And btw, I had an aunt named Carmen! I always liked that name! :blush:

4 Likes

Okay, so the key thing with red factor on anery types is that its primary area of effect is in the ground color, between the saddles. None of the aneries you showed have any pink between the saddles of the neck. Red factor would be showing there first.

4 Likes

I don’t disagree. There is actually a pink/red tone on the head and neck in the ground color portion of Legacy and of Carmen. It isn’t showing in the photos. They have only just had their second shed so I’m certainly not ruling it out for anybody at this point. The sire is RF Strawberry Granite from VMS so RF is expected.

3 Likes

I’ll try and get a current pic which shows the tint on their heads. Meanwhile, here’s one of Legacy when he first hatched. You can see the beginning of what appears to be RF coloration in his headstamp. (I’ve done no editing other than cropping and labeling. )

4 Likes

I look forward to the updated photos!

Discussing with a friend who also has a VMS line red factor and apparently Sean’s line is a ‘slow developer’ and can take up to 6 months to really start showing up. The lines near me and that I’ve personally worked with have all been strong showers from hatching. There’s a good chance they’re separate genes, but good luck to us ever figuring that one out.

4 Likes

Yes, Sean warned me about that, lol. I’m planning to hang onto these babies until I can tell one way or the other. I have a few 2yo RF animals from VMS who will be paired for the first time next year. I’ve got several projects which will mean holding onto quite a few for quite a while. With your beautiful dark Charcoals, you know how that goes!

That’s a very intriguing thought. I certainly don’t have any answers to that puzzle.

4 Likes

I’ve got one. These babies were fed Wednesday and are mostly still hidden away digesting. Carmen was lying where I could get a picture without bothering her, though she didn’t stay there. It still doesn’t adequately capture the reddish coloration I can see beginning to show in the ground color on her head and neck. At least it does show that there is a difference between the ground color on the front of her body compared to her more caudal section. I will try again in a couple of days. And apparently will keep trying for a few months!

:laughing:

4 Likes

With time, the “yes, no, maybe” Red Factor has become obvious for some of the babies. Some are still “maybe.” I still can’t accurately catch the coloration of the Anery babies’ reddish tones. (I’ve kept thinking I would get really good pics of everybody but I’ve given up on that, lol.) Here are some updates for some of the crew.

I’ll start with Flair. I still don’t know what’s going on with her, but her belly isn’t what one would expect for a “normal” phenotype. She has quite a bit of color for a youngster, but I can’t say she’s more than a pretty classic. She’s staying here anyway, because I want her genetics and she’s got a nifty little personality, too.

6 Likes

She’s pretty! Definitely going to be a bright adult.

3 Likes

This pretty boy is most assuredly Red Factor. He’s Halo, as well. And he’s now in his new home with Emma, @metalheadreptiles !

5 Likes

She is really lovely Caryl! I would be keeping her too if I were you! :heart:

2 Likes

Rossini isn’t in the mood for pics, so he’s not in focus here. His color still pops. Red Factor Halo Snow, for sure.

o

5 Likes

Solo is one handsome boy Caryl! @metalheadreptiles So glad you have you have him Emma! He is a looker! :heart::pray::clap:

2 Likes

He is gorgeous Caryl! Is he staying too? I see he has a box he hasn’t thrown in the trash! :joy:

2 Likes

Thanks, Caron and Olivia! Y’all are faster than I am. I’ve been really, really happy with this season’s babies. Yes, Rossini is staying here, as well. This clutch was male heavy, and I wasn’t initially planning to keep a male Snow but they changed my mind.

Here’s another baby who makes me happy. She shed just this morning. I missed this call, because I didn’t see her Red Factor in her first couple of sheds. I guess she’s a bit more proof that some VMS lines of Red Factor are slower to develop, but worth the wait. She looks like she’s been sprinkled all over with some magical, pink dust. She really needs a good photo session. Thanks again for the name suggestion, @noodlehaus. Here’s Heart’s Delight.

5 Likes

Here’s another box for ya, @Caron, with another RF Halo boy. Caruso has been the pain in the behind for this clutch, but that’s okay. Initially he was SURE I wanted to eat him, and he was very stubborn about not eating anything himself. Thought he needed an empty belly to escape, I guess lol. I’m stubborn, too. Caruso eats happily now, but only if I’m holding him. Artistic temperament, I guess.

6 Likes

Here’s Minuet, an Anery from the Allstar x Aria clutch. She went to her new home last week. I didn’t see RF with her, but heck, I wouldn’t rule it out yet with this line. She has some very pretty frosting.

5 Likes

I have seen reddish tints on Legacy since he hatched. I still do. They’re getting more distinct. I still can’t capture them well. :confused: It doesn’t help that he rarely holds still! :laughing:

5 Likes

Carmen is still a firm “maybe” :grin:. There’s something about her in person which looks suggestive of RF to me. It’s still more in the markings than the ground color, which is where I personally seem to see it first. Love this girl’s calm personality and bold markings. She’s staying here, too.

5 Likes

One final baby for today. This is Haldir. He was produced by Neil Smith, and I bought him for my Halo projects. He’s been growing more pink rather than less pink as would be expected with a typical Snow. His last shed revealed those classic pink dots on his topline. Surprise!

Thanks for checking out these babies with me.
5 Likes