Rehoused my OBT

Rehoused my OBT after receiving her and 3 others that were not in proper enclosures. She was so calm compared to the versicolor, sazimai, and platyomma.

9 Likes

I never heard of an OBT being more chill than a versicolor (especially with the OBT’s rep of being a crazy biting 8 legged nutbar).

You must have a rare specimen. Lucky!!!

2 Likes

Yeah, depends on the handling and the environment you do it in, mostly, but none of my OBT are very problematic, the bigger they are, the easier they are, in my experience. P. sazimai are a jumpy species, though and fast, so I’m not surprised to hear that. Almost anything arboreal is typically pretty quick, as far as tarantulas go, but at least it was only a C. versicolor and not an H. Mac!

5 Likes

What does OBT stand for? :thinking:

1 Like

It’s an abbreviation for the common name, Orange Baboon Tarantula.

1 Like

or Orange bitty thing lol.

3 Likes

Otherwise known as Pterinochilus murinus. But like Chromatopelma cyaneopubescens, or the Green Bottle Blue tarantula, which is much more common to hear referred to as a GBB, it’s one of those tarantula most hobbyists don’t use the proper name for regularly.

3 Likes

I only use GBB because there is no way I can remember the scientific name for it (hopefully that will be my first T). But I’m pretty new to scientific names and I only have about 5-10 memorized.

Usually OBTs (and most OWs in general) are flighty and harder to rehouse. You got lucky having a slower one.

2 Likes

I have only had her a few weeks so I don’t know if her previous owner did much with her, but I will gladly take it.

1 Like

This is my smallest OBT currently, a Tete NP locale, earlier I made the atrocious decision to fill its water and tried to remove its last molt… Needless to say, this one is a bit dramatic, haha, but the smaller with these, the more attitude, in my experience.

3 Likes