Repopulation Project

this is a project for the repopulation of the northern italian wall lizards that recently have became hard to find in my sub urban area (perfect for them) here is a pick of the specie

and this is the outdoor enclosure if you have a similar project feel free to share it!

2 Likes

I kind of wanted to start this for Green Anoles in south Florida

2 Likes

cool I hope you do because beside exotics reptiles ( non native) I think r beautiful natives ones too and very useful for the ecosystem

2 Likes

Aren’t there a abundance of them in Florida? I dont think they need to be repopulated

2 Likes

I don’t think civilians should ever be doing “repopulating” projects on their own whether or not they are native species.

6 Likes

Exactly. You never know what pathogens you could give them if you have your own reptiles. Or what undesirable effects they might be able to have by giving them an unfair advantage. You could have a weaker population of animals if you don’t know what you are doing. Repopulating should be left to the professionals.

4 Likes

Yes but a lot of people have been taking them out for pets

1 Like

I would not be releasing them thought, forgot to add that they would be for sale so people don’t take them out of the wild

1 Like

actually the thing here is very different they r common but illegal to sell or own (only for projects like mine)

If you are just building outdoor habitats for them to survive and reproduce in then I don’t see a issue at all (dependant or the population and hygiene levels).

But if you going to start moving them to different areas then you may just end up breeding prey for a larger animal.

Your best bet to help them out is to make small shelters out in nature (even bird houses stuck up in trees could work) and feeding the animal below it in the food chain. If you hear crickets chirping in the grass then throw your leftover vegetables in there with them. Even planting some vegetables for the sole purpose of increasing the insect count could help.

The better their diet the better chances at life they have.

5 Likes

no they belong to this area but they get killed by some kids around my neighborhood so im trying to breed them in a place that they dont know

It might be more productive to put the kids in a enclosure then :crazy_face:

this is satire, I don’t encourage capturing the neighborhood kids… Or any kids for that matter :joy:

6 Likes

ops too late I did it… :joy: :joy: I tried to tell them to dont do but they still do it actually when I find some lizards I catch them and I put them back to the nature far from them

4 Likes

I have sad and very bad news :pensive: one day I found a little snake with a wound (to small to eat the lizards) and I decided to keep him overnight with that lizards and the day after I found 2 females dead (with clearly signs of constriction and bites ) one was maybe pregnant and the biggest male was killing that snake after I separated them I found that the snake bites him multiple times and costicted him and broke him two legs he was starting recovering but I just found him dead he was pretty big for his species like 20 cm

So Green Anoles in Florida have been pushed up into the treetops. Brown Anoles have pushed them up off the ground, forcing Greens into the canopy. In the past 30 years, the species has seen seen a huge morphological changes to their limbs. Check it out ! https://jeb.biologists.org/content/215/13/2288.short

1 Like

Yeah brown anoles are mean little buggers but when I go to FL to visit family I see them everywhere. As a whole I think the population is stable enough not to need a repopulation project for them.

@nathan_e sorry but I have lived in Florida for 6 years and I saw 3 green anoles. In the time I lived in Texas for 2 months I have seen 14. I am not saying you should or should not repopulate them though.

1 Like