Reptile breeding 1 time

So ive been a reptile keeper for awhile now and I wanted to know which reptiles are the easiest to breed. Ive wanted to breed reptiles for awhile now so shoot me!

2 Likes

Simple answer - Ball Pythons or Corn Snakes. Kingsnakes aren’t hard specifically but there is an inherent danger in breeding them. Successful mating can sometimes still involve the female being wounded.

Honest answer - Find something that you’re passionate about keeping and breeding, and we can help you make it happen. Between the community here and our individual or shared networks across the hobby, one of us can direct you to the information you need or connect you with a person who can.

Advice you didn’t ask for - keep it to a fun, easy to care for size, until you have it down to a science. Way too many people dive in with both feet. It takes a lot of resources to hatch, house, and maintain babies. And time!

7 Likes

Take your time, don’t rush into it. Save up money, buy everything for the babies like housing (racks), equipment, thermostat, money for food, incubator, incubation supplies, etc. before you need it or start pairing. Breed what you enjoy, for a beginner something unique and easy to breed would be ideal (likely a colubrid).

6 Likes

@erie-herps Oh yeah im totally in the process of that right now, And I heard cresties were easy to breed, since incubating is at room temperature if I’m correct

3 Likes

I would highly suggest keeping a species for a few years at least to make sure that you have their husbandry down before you try to produce them. Also as noted above, I would suggest making sure that you want to actually produce the species that you own. This type of thing shouldn’t be over looked. Your interest for the reptiles, your passion for them, will be what gets you through the hard times such as stills and bad seasons. Additionally, you have to try to imagine the bad outcomes and think of a way that you would be able to cope. Many who rush in to breeding get disappointed and heartbroken, so they step out of breeding after a few seasons.

6 Likes

@godzillao4 That depends on your room temperature! If you live somewhere too hot or too cold then that would need correcting first.

What reptiles do you currently have and why do you want to breed?

4 Likes

African house snakes are easier to breed than both of these two! Lol

7 Likes

Yeah but they’re a lot less fun to get started without feeding frogs and you can’t make them stop :joy:

3 Likes

how big are african house snakes clutches?

1 Like

And @lumpy i know what you mean, Im trying to find out which reptile I can try in the future after keeping them. @foxreptile I own a cal king, some leos, and kept anoles in the past along with beardies and one tokay, I wanna try breeding since I’ve only kept them and know I’m looking to breed

3 Likes

It’s great going the next step :relaxed:

I am in the process of breeding Cresties so I can’t answer much there.

But I suggest to breed what you like and what your willing to keep, should you not sell any. Get your supplies ready in advance.

We have raised Cresties and snakes for many years and I’d like to think we know a lot about care before breeding. Set yourself a goal, something to aim for!

We hatched our first clutches of royal pythons this year and we will do again as it’s so much fun, but we are yet to sell any… I’m too attached :sweat_smile:

We have 2 California king snakes but haven’t bred them. Not sure if we’re going too.

4 Likes

Last year was my first year breeding corn snakes, and I found it to be pretty easy. My breeding group currently consists of…
1 male snow
1 male amber tessera
1 female ultramel tessera pos het anery & diffused
1 female extreme revers okeetee
1 female amel
I AM PICKING THESE ADULT FEMALES UP LATER TODAY
1 (what I believe to be) bloodred stripe
2 Snows

1 Like

Lots of really good information shared so far in this thread. I’ll reiterate the getting your ducks in a row first before ever trying to breed. If you get husbandry down pat breeding becomes far easier, regardless of species you are working with.

5 Likes

I second this!

1 Like

How about KSB? They’re small they have morphs and give live birth.

2 Likes

Those would be a good choice, especially if you start with a female and by the time you have enough experience with her to breed she’ll be of breeding age and you can get a male.

2 Likes

is there care fairly easy?

2 Likes

In my experiences 6 to 10 but they will breed six times a year if you let them. But I wouldn’t recommend letting them breed that much.

2 Likes

Their care is very easy, a relatively small enclosure for adults and a few inches of aspen bedding. However you’ll likely rarely see them since they burrow.
If you do decide to get another snake wait a little since you just got a snake.

4 Likes

I really just suggest going with what you love. Don’t breed animals just because they’re easy. I’m planning on breeding western hognoses, antaresia, blue tongue skinks, a few species of frogs and all sorts of Australian geckos. Why? Because I love them. Also, don’t make money your primary goal. I’m not saying don’t care about the money, I certainly do, but also don’t be disappointed if you don’t make any, because that may happen unless you’re breeding something really cool.

5 Likes