Reptile police came to my house :(

Contacting USARK is a really good idea, that’s what that membership is for, at least in some small part. I’m so sorry about your loss, and I hope that the rangers stay out of your business from here out. USARK is national and has chapters in many states, hit them up!

5 Likes

I contacted USARK, I hope they respond. We need a chapter in Alabama. I wonder…

5 Likes

Being the fact that florida and alabama are completely different in tempatures, climate and humidity levels this is HIGHLY UNLIKELY It is also because of blanket statements like this we are constantly fighting laws that are being put into place by people who nothing about the animals they are seeking to ban. Just because an exotic animal can survive for a period of time in the LOWER PARTS OF FLORIDA does not mean they can survive anywhere outside of florida.

Sorry if this came of as a little harsh, but we need to becareful with what information is presented out in a public forum such as this. Misinformation is huge part of the problem we face in this hobby we are fighting so desperatley to keep.

6 Likes

I guess I didn’t write it but what I meant was that if tegu could thrive in cooler areas and live in Alabama it’s not possible to prevent them. IF they could survive the temperatures and climate then eventually the entire SE US would be invaded. But in reality they likely won’t ever leave South Florida.

5 Likes

Tegus have been spotted further north than big snakes and iguanas, it was all over the news during the Florida scandal. Definitely more than the southern part of Florida, I can’t remember if they made it as north as Alabama but I wanna say I read some made it to southern Carolina? That being said, that’s like saying house geckos live in my county (in southern California) - I sure as heck never see them, it’s too dry here. But either way, don’t take my word 100% for it, but the reason tegus are higher priority is probably because they have a wider range. That doesn’t justify being barged in on unannounced when you were promised the contrary, though. Sorry that happened to you :frowning: nobody deserves that kind of stress, and you should definitely stick up for your right to privacy to the fullest extent of the law.

5 Likes

I do not understand how people can own a species and be ignorant of the animal’s natural habitat…

In the wild, tegus range in areas that regularly experience freezes. During the winter, these animals regularly dig up to 1.2m into the earth and hibernate. A small population of them has been identified in South Carolina. This is why they have become a much greater concern as a potential invasive during the recent years.

As far as the inspection… While I do not know the specifics of Alabama, I know a few people in Florida that have similar permits and the way the wording is written is that they have the right to inspect with reasonable warning but also the right to surprise visits at any time. You do have the right to refuse them on a surprise visit, but… that can have its own repercussions.

Slippery slope there. Just think about how bad things would end up if you were caught without a permit. You did not “turn yourself in”, you acted as a responsible reptile keeper, which is something MorphMarket and @john very strongly advocate. The F&W ranger was performing his duties as a professional as well. Do not crucify him for simply doing his job.

10 Likes

No crucifixion, but my house was really a mess. The Tegus homes were secure and spotless.

When I looked into what sort of care and environment my Tegus needed, I looked at their optimal needs, not the environment they might servive in as an invasive species.

2 Likes

Yeah, I know and while I may “wish” …without the permit I couldn’t take my guys to the vet…and I’m allready getting my monitors pit tagged. I’ll be ready if they get black listed too.

4 Likes

I agree that the ranger felt he was just doing his job, and he’s not a monster. I have great respect for fish and wildlife enforcement of all sorts, but when it comes down to it I have slightly more respect for private citizens and their rights not to be harassed. I don’t think anyone should be forced into a feeling of shame in their own home, when law enforcement have no reason to think they’ve committed a crime. Of course, there’s always the possibility that there was a reason to think such a thing. I think they would have went at the OP even harder, if that were the case. The story, as told, leaves a bad taste in my mouth.

The other thing about Tegus’ ability to survive in cold weather is that they are seasonally endothermic. They can raise their body temperature using energy from food.

4 Likes

I respect F&W enforcement and I don’t think that they’re doing anything wrong. They’re only doing what they were told. Who I don’t respect are the people who instructed them to do that, or who originally made these laws. They’re the uneducated (in this context) people who made these pointless laws and think it’s going to change something.

4 Likes

I wanted to briefly chime in and clarify that, to my knowledge, veterinarians are not required to report prohibited species, at least federally, and they most definitely will still see them. My reference for this is the common knowledge in the veterinary field that exotics vets often see ferrets in CA, where they are banned.

6 Likes

Thanks for the reply saved me from being the one to tell these people talking about tegus that they should go look up natural habitat ! It is stunning so many tegu experts have no clue the actual climate they live in! They also should look up the history of one of the greatest lizard breeders/keepers that lived in Bert Langerwerf an Agama International which was based in Alabama.

3 Likes

I don’t expect some random person to understand reptile keepers rights. That’s like going up to some random person on the street and asking them to not do their next work assignment because the laws that surround keeping of “invasive” lizards aren’t ethical to reptile keepers. They won’t understand anything about that and I don’t expect them to.

2 Likes

It’s literally their job. How can they confiscate your property if they can’t identify it?

I don’t keep tegus, so I’m not very familiar with their natural history. I am aware of the hysteria regarding them however and it sounds a lot like the bunk science that was used to claim that Burmese pythons were going to extend their range northward from Florida as well. Has there been any evidence of them both surviving and breeding in states outside of Florida? I know they’ve been found, but people such as USARK claim these are probably just released pets and other lizard species based on reports by the public, and we all know how reliable those guys can be.

He was not being a professional, he was extremely rude and assuming guilt, providing no notice before coming onto the property to search for “illegal” animals. I mean what was he thinking anyway?! Doesn’t Alabama have castle doctrine? Even when the keeper was polite and went with his demands he kept acting like it was HER that was the one in the wrong here and not him disregarding her property and privacy rights.

2 Likes

Castle Doctrine does not apply to this situation whatsoever. According to this law firm in Alabama, Alabama does have Castle Doctrine.

Oh I’m not saying there would be grounds for it, I just think you would have to be stupid or supremely arrogant to trespass on someone’s property in that state without notifying, state official or not.

1 Like

Correction : I misstated. The inspector was the state game warden, not a forest ranger.

Points: They had no reason to suspect any illegal activities. I have never committed any type of crime and my husband David (deceased recently) had a top secret clearance with the federal govt.

I work with developmentally disabled people, some of whom don’t communicate verbally. I am hyperaware of body language and unexpressed emotion. (per my therapist,) The game warden was suspicious and somewhat aggressive, but if one only looked at his surface behavior, he was a little rude/gruff but nothing he could be reported over.

Messy house: I have been dealing with complicated grief and clinical depression since my husband died last January. Keeping the reptiles and other animals clean and fed has been my only priority. When I say mess, it is an unusual mess. Stuff piled on couches and chairs, new tanks and terriariams sitting on the floor. (sales) dog toys, shredded dog toys, shredded paper on the floor, a 3/4th completed snake rack and tools in the hallway…

If the game warden had asked nicely, I would have shown him all of my animals. If he had given me a few days or hours warning, it might have been the push I needed to pick up my house.

His visit did feel invasive and I was embarrased by my messy house. He did have the right to inspect my tegus housing per the permit and while it did say reasonable notice , what that means wasn’t specified. I did give him directions and let him into my house.

The way he even said the word, “tegu” sounded like the word tasted bad to him. He did peer at my other enclosures and ask abruptly and demandingly, “what’s in here”. He was very focused on the tegus. When I asked him if he wanted to see my retic, he refused. (I got Little Big Snake out and showed him anyway)

I don’t know what he thought my carpet python was, maybe something venomous because of the bright yellow and black coloring. I don’t know what he was looking for, something to do with tegus I’d guess.

While I “wish” that I wasn’t on their radar, I’m not suggesting anyone should keep “illegal” reptiles (I was venting) and I will get permits if any of my other reptiles get onto the,“forbidden” list.

5 Likes

Wow. I feel so sorry for you! I believe the real problem behind the reptile laws is that people are just uneducated. They view reptiles as monsters, but only because they don’t know any better. We can exactly blame them either. People on youtube spread undeserved hate and fear of reptiles, and thats the only thing people see. They don’t see people like NERD or Kamp Kenan, who responsibly house and care for their reptiles. What we need is for people to make it a priority to educate the lawmakers and politicians so that they can know better.

2 Likes

Education is essential but you also need people who are open-minded enough to question their beliefs and let new information in

Don’t feel sorry for me, I’m going to be fine. I shared, possibly, a little too much information so that folks would understand why the game wardens visit had me in such a tizzy. Although, I have to admit the game warden acting like a tegu is something nasty that you get on your feet really bothered me and worried me about the future of our tegus
Edited to add, did you see the video from nerd where Kevin was putting cute little hats on his cobras.

4 Likes

Which is also why it’s important to educate children from a young age. The fear and misunderstanding hasn’t been taught to them and they look at reptiles from a different point of view instantly. Some even get into reptile keeping.

5 Likes