Reptiles Over the Rainbow Bridge

I’m sorry to hear that but I think you made the right decision.

4 Likes

Such a beautiful baby :sob:

5 Likes

I am so sorry to hear about her passing. She looks like she was so sweet and gentle. I bet you have so many good memories with her. I am sorry again.

5 Likes

Dang that part brought a tear to my eye. I’m very sorry for your loss. She was a true beauty.

5 Likes

I just lost my handsome wee man, Adonis. He was an Albey Snow purchased directly from Albey Scholl when he was still working with leos. Adonis was 17 years old, if I’m remembering correctly. His necropsy is underway right now. I still have 5 of his beautiful babies and they will be staying with me. Rest in peace sweetie, I will love you forever. :heart:

4 Likes

I’m so sorry to hear that. I always looked forward to reading your posts with him in it. Adonis always looked amazing and was one of the best geckos I’ve seen (especially that second picture with how he’s looking at the camera). Hopefully there are lots of waxworms in his future.

3 Likes

Aww thanks! :blush: He was a very handsome, very goofy little fellow! He’s the gecko in my current avatar. :wink:

In trying to figure out what was wrong, I actually had a CT Scan run on him, and I’m hoping to write a post up about his case at some point. I’ve been coming up short on both time and mental health lately, but I’m doing my best to get my life settled so I can contribute in a more meaningful way ASAP.

3 Likes

You gave him lots of extra years, he had great care with you.
I think a write up would be very helpful since we don’t have much information on leopard gecko health problems and how to cure them.

3 Likes

I’m so sorry to hear you lost him. I hope you do find out what happened and post the findings. He looked like a charming lil guy.

May he rest easy on the other side of the ol Rainbow Bridge.

4 Likes

This was my girl pear after tamys grand mother in the movie

3 Likes

I had these two leopard geckos for around 10 years, I got them as adults so no telling how old they were then. Their names were Grif and Starlight, I guess they were around 13-15 years old when they passed.

6 Likes

This is Aeschylus, my baby Russian Tortoise I had for about a year in 2009. He just failed to thrive and his kidneys quit on him, but in the time I had him I learned a lot about reptile keeping, enrichment, enclosures, and a little reptile medicine as me and the exotic vet worked to try to help him.

You CAN spoon-feed a baby tortoise, if the spoon is a bit of his hay and you’re helping him eat his medicine powder ground up with leaves to taste good. Also the best way to keep a tort from biting you while you do an intramuscular is to use masking tape over his front end to keep his head in his shell, hah. He tolerated it but was pleased to have dandelion greens after.

His favorite foods were strawberry leaves, which I grew for him, and carrot, which was a special treat. He was a sweet little turtlebug, very determined in exploring his tort-table landscape, and he liked to sleep in his half-log hide.

He’s the reason I like reptile keeping and came back to it again to get myself a snake, years later. :mending_heart:

6 Likes

@alphatigr They were both very good looking geckos! I love that one was a Baldy and one had a spotted head. :heart_eyes:

@athleticshoelace Aeschylus was an adorable wee fellow! It’s very cool that you tried so hard to save him. :heart:

Both of you guys clearly loved your babies.

4 Likes

I’ve only lost one reptile to date, which was my first reptile, a bearded dragon named Ziggy. I got him when I was 12 years old as a tiny baby and had him for over 10 years. He moved with me into my first apartment when I was 18, and then moved with me again when I moved back to my hometown a year later. One day he just stopped eating, which was very unusual, as he was normally a little food-obsessed piggie (typical beardie). I made an appointment for him with a reptile vet, but sadly he passed away the night before the appointment. At the time, I didn’t think to ask about a necropsy, so I’m not sure what killed him. I feel like I gave him pretty good care, in spite of a lot of the bad care information being pushed at the time. He had UVB from day one, with the bulb replaced every 6 months, he had a variety of gut-loaded, calcium-dusted insects, and a variety of greens and veggies. In hindsight, the only things I would have changed about my husbandry would have been to give him larger enclosure (he was in a 65gal, so it wasn’t horrible, but still not as good as it could have been), and perhaps to not use loose play sand as his substrate (though at the time, that’s what multiple reputable sources recommended). I do wonder if impaction could have been what did him in. I ended up burying him at one of my favourite spots up in the mountains, at an overlook with a beautiful view (in hindsight, I’m not sure if that was technically legal, but I wasn’t thinking about that at the time).

He was a great lizard, very sweet and inquisitive. Unfortunately I don’t have any pictures of him, though my dad has a framed picture of him in his office. I should ask him to scan it for me. It’d be nice to have a copy.

5 Likes

I don’t have any pictures of my first reptile, a leopard gecko named Jeeves. Though it saddens me, I feel like the little footprints she left on my heart are what really counts. :heart:

Ziggy sounds like he had an epic life! You did all you could do by making a vet appointment for him. Since our pets can’t tell us what’s going on, it’s sometimes impossible to know if a condition is serious/needs to be seen urgently, or sometimes even to tell that something is wrong at all. While it might have possibly been an impaction issue, what matters is that you were caring for him in the way that multiple sources recommended at the time.

6 Likes