Request to add gene…”mosaic axolotl” [DONE]

This template contains both “gene addition” and “gene review” forms, please delete the one which is not applicable to your request

Gene Request Form

Please fill the below form out to the best of your ability. Answers do not need to be lengthy. If appropriate you may forward this request to someone who is more able to supply the answers.

FactsMosaicism is a rare combination of two or more phenotypes

Species:axolotl
**Name of Gene:**mosaic is not an actual gene, but a genetic anomaly
**First produced by whom:**unknown
**Year:**unknown
**Genetics Type (Incdom/Codom/Recessive/Polygenic/etc):**n/a
**In complex with other genes?:**n/a
**Other names/aliases for it?:**some refer to certain mosaics as chimera, but the term is incorrect
**Description:**the animal possesses the visual phenotype of two or more different axolotls

Appearance: What it does/looks like?it can be marbled, patchy or even split down the middle
Proven: To what degree it is proven out to not just be polygenic?n/a
Unique: Why do you believe this is a new morph and not an existing one?it’s not new, just not listed as a category
**Related Genes:**n/a
Problems: Any problems?n/a
Other History: Any additional history?n/a
**Disagreement or Controversy:**n/a
**References here on the community:**n/a

At least one link to community discussion (ie forums) to demonstrate community acceptance
Link to WOBP if exists
Please attach 1-3 photos you have rights to which you are granting to be used on MorphMarket .

3 Likes

The proper term for the animal you have photographed is a chimera. I’m not sure using the term “mosaic” is appropriate and will likely be confusing for folks, as there are localities in other species that have the name (such as mosaic kingsnakes, aka Florida kings). Also, are enough chimeras being produced in axolotls to warrant a whole section?

1 Like

A mosaic is a type of chimera. But rather than half half of 2 different morphs, it looks like it’s marbled!

‘Mosaic is a result of two cell DNA forming into one. This seems very similar to the chimera morph, but it is completely different. While in a chimera the embryo splits in half, in a mosaic morph each cell displays phenotypes of both cells coming from both parents.
Mosaicism is not a natural development and you cannot breed such morph. It is a natural accident causing rare axolotl colours.’

That would be a no. I’ve been on the lookout for years :joy:

You can just put chimera at the start of the title, since it’s a type of one I’d say :blush:

1 Like

We’re one step ahead!

The reason you can’t find any is that there are not any listed yet :wink:

4 Likes

FYI guys Chimera and Mosaic are totally different, and that animal is a Mosaic (I own a mosaic leopard gecko and got educated by @t_h_wyman ). A chimera is what results when 2 embryos make one animal, and a mosaic is when a single zygote has resulted in an animal with different genetic makeup in different cells, if I remember correctly.

3 Likes

Good catch!

1 Like

It is a type of chimera isn’t it?
What I put is quoted from the internet.

1 Like

@mblaney is correct. Chimera and mosaic are different. Mosaic comes from a single zygote and a Chimera come from 2 zygotes. Paradox is used to describe that effect, it’s not a scientific term.

5 Likes

Actually, I feel fairly confident that the animal pictured will end up being mosaic in nature

As Marla and Riley both correctly note, this is not correct. A mosaic and a chimera are two different things

Just because it is on the internet does not make it true LOL. The way that clip reads is as if you pulled it from someone axolotl breeder’s site and they were trying, wrongly, to explain the term.

The thread Riley quoted has one of my “go-to” canned explanations but if you need a different one to help make it clearer let me know and I can plonk one out :+1:t4:

6 Likes

Lol that’s alright. It’s on other sites saying the same thing too, with people correcting others about them being the same. So for years I’ve assumed they were the same thing!

I’ll give your post a read when I have time later when I’m home :blush:

3 Likes